Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote Here to voice your support for an official Gnome Shell version of Ubuntu

Beans

Exclamation Vote Here to voice your support for an official Gnome Shell version of Ubuntu

Currently, gnome shell is no longer officially packeged with Ubuntu, it now comes with 'Unity'.

I have to say, since early gnome shell and then the switch to Unity I went with Linux Mint for a while. Then I got tired of it, tried fedora, didn't like it, tried OpenSuse, didn't like it, tried Kubuntu, too quirky.

Then I went back to Ubuntu Gnome Remix, and updated. Since then (along with installing necessary add-ons to gnome shell), I absolutely love this desktop environment.

Please use this thread to cast your vote for Ubuntu to officially ship with Gnome Shell instead of just Unity...

Regards, zero.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Vote Here to voice your support for an official Gnome Shell version of Ubuntu

Just download UbuntuGNOME
    Development nowadays is about phones/tablets and
    Canonical wants to be able to set their own direction with unity not pander to gnome devs.
    Last edited by grumblebum2; May 30th, 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Vote Here to voice your support for an official Gnome Shell version of Ubuntu

Moved to Ubuntu linux chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am in favour for that................ASAP........
    Nav

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why would they want to add the reason why unity exists?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I dunno, I kind of like Unity too, its a shame my hardware is quite ancient to get the best out of it though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If someone wants to develop an Ubuntu derivative with Gnome Shell and approach Canonical with the idea of making it an officially recognized flavor, as the folks at Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu GNOME and Ubuntu Kylin have done (I left out Kubuntu, since that used to actually be developed by Canonical and is now its own entity), then they are welcome to.

There is no reason whatsoever for Canonical to spit its effort and have another DE to worry about.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I already have Ubuntu Gnome running in a VM, why another one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grumblebum2 View Post
    Just download UbuntuGNOME
    Development nowadays is about phones/tablets and
    Canonical wants to be able to set their own direction with unity not pander to gnome devs.
    +1!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

'nother opinion .....

If you do not like the out-of-the-box experience that Canonical provides - in several flavors; Hey, they provide the tools and packages to make the operating system exactly as you prefer. Just takes a bit of looking, research and configuration to make it so.

Ask me, I have had a PC setting on my desk since the mid 70's. This is my operating system of choice. It is not out-of-the-box.

'buntu is the greatest thing since sliced bread
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast