Thread: Dynamic Workspaces in a DE other than GNOME 3

Beans

Dynamic Workspaces in a DE other than GNOME 3

Hello Ubuntu-ers!

I would really like to switch to a desktop environment other than GNOME 3 but so far have not been able to find a certain workspace mechanic in another. In GNOME 3, those of you familiar will know that the amount of workspaces/virtual desktops dynamically resizes to suit the windows you have open. For example, there is always an empty workspace open at the end of the list but all other empty workspaces are automatically removed.

Has anyone found this feature, say, with an extension, in another desktop environment/window manager? Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dynamic Workspaces in a DE other than GNOME 3

I'm not aware of any desktop environment apart from Gnome3 doing that, but if nothing else, Openbox gives you a really easy way to add and remove workspaces as needed from middle-click menu on the desktop. It probably wouldn't take much effort to script that to happen automatically, and I faintly remember even seeing such extension somewhere... I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other window managers have that even by default, and most of them are fairly easy to extend so chances of finding existing scripts should be pretty good.

Beans

Re: Dynamic Workspaces in a DE other than GNOME 3

Thanks for the reply

I couldn't seem to find too much info on scripting in OpenBox - maybe my Google-fu is a little rusty. It is possible to script OpenBox with python?