Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hey man, thanks for the write up, it worked perfectly for my XperiaZ3.

Beans

Thank you write_mem, I just followed your instruction, and it works well to connect my brand new ASUS Zenfone 2 to my Ubuntu 14.04

Best Regards,
    Zhuce

Beans

Almost worked for me. I can see both Internal SD and External SD in the file manager and media app like Clementine but in Clementine I cannot play my music. seems pointless. I will have to do some permissions configurations but not sure how to go about it. Thanks for the tutorial anyway. appreciate it.

EDIT

Device: HTC Desire 510 (Sprint)

Beans

This did NOT work for me - trying to connect a galaxy note 3, have my device and product IDs and have edited as directed. My device shows up in files for half a second before disappearing, no matter what I select on the phone (MTP: connect as storage or connect as camera) and USB 3.0 is greyed out despite using a compatible cable to connect the phone.
    Running 14.04.

Any suggestions? This has been the most useful-looking tutorial out there!
    Last edited by clstal; May 12th, 2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: add conclusion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was able to successfully use the instructions in Post #73 above on my 15.04 system with the ONE EXCEPTION.

The correct name of the file in Step 4 (on my 15.04 system) is /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules.

Beans

Thanks bro... !!!

It really helped..

Last edited by howefield; August 2nd, 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Beans

Angry Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by write_mem View Post
    Hi,

After much looking around I was never able to find a how-to guide(or should I say the ones that did never worked)on how to connect my android tablet/phone to Ubuntu for file transfers, sure there's other means of doing it wireless via your LAN, but truth be told MTP and Ubuntu don't exactly see eye to eye and as such I hope the following guide I put together saves someone a lot of time and effort. This was performed on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

STEP 1
    Firstly we're going to need to install some of the common MTP apps that will be needed. Open up a terminal and type the following two lines one after the other.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmtp-common mtp-tools libmtp-dev libmtp-runtime libmtp9
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    STEP 2
    Then we're going to amend the fuse.conf file. FUSE is an application that aims to provide a secure method for non privileged users to create and mount their own file system implementations. This option overrides the security measure restricting file access to the user mounting the file system. So all users (including root) can access the files. This option is by default only allowed to root, but this restriction can be removed with a change to the aforementioned fuse.conf file as follows:

At the terminal type

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fuse.conf
    We want to remove the # from the below line of code for user_allow_other, like so...

Code:
    #/etc/fuse.conf - Configuration file for Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE)

#Set the maximum number of FUSE mounts allowed to non-root users.
    #The default is 1000.
    #mount_max = 1000

# Allow non-root users to specify the allow_other or allow_root mount options.
    user_allow_other

Now save the file by pressing Ctrl+x, press Y and then Enter.

STEP 3

and

STEP 4
    and

STEP 5

and

STEP 6

and

STEP 7

And

Rebooted... and nothing happened ! My Samsung Galaxy SIII Neo doesn't connect ! Same old error message, "Unable to mount..... Error initializing camera: -60: Could not lock the device" and "....Error initializing camera: -1: Unspecified error" !

It seems that this is an unsolvable problem and whoever can invent a device independent "how-to" solution may apply for a fields medal or something !

Beans

Awesome! It fixed my problem with my Android phone (BQ Aquaris E5 HD). I was unable to connect it to my Elementary OS Freya, and now it is working perfectly! 10 out of 10 for you

Beans

Work on UMI ZERO 3.10 Android 4.4.2. Thanks!

Beans

Works! Thanks Man you rock!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast