Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

jdarby1983,
    i tried your steps in Ubuntu 14.04 for connecting
    XperiaZ2 It worked like a charm. Thanks again for sharing steps for the noobs ^_^ Bang!!!

Beans

it worked perfectly in my motorola moto e xt1022 (the dual chip without dtv)
    thank you so much!

Thanks @jdarby1983
    It works well on Kubuntu 14.04.
    I had to write just /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules with both product ID and Mode.

# OnePlus One
    ATTR{idVendor}=="05c6", ATTR{idProduct}=="6765", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="666", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"
    After sudo service udev restart my smartphone OPO started to work!

Thanks a lot

Beans

Unfortunately, this tutorial did not help me to gain proper access to files in Samsung S5 Mini: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2249442

Why do you want to install libmtp-dev?

Beans

Thank you! Your tutorial is working for me. Now I can see the thumbnails of pictures directly in nemo!!
    But, i get the same error when I try to open them: "libmtp error: unknown error"

Beans

Thumbs up Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Works like a charm for Asus Fonepad 7 FE170CG

Thank you so much!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have a sony xperia m smartphone and I would like to connect it to my hp compaq 6720s ubuntu 12.04 fully updated system. Is it possible to follow this step by step guide in ubuntu 12.04 in order the smartphone be recognized or is there other method?.

Thanks in advanced.

Beans

After entering "lsusb", I don't see my device. What else can I try?

Beans

Smile Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hello

I have tried this for Galaxy S III, and did not work, as it did not work for a member who commented in Page.2 about Galaxy S IV (S4). I tested this method on Samsung Galaxy S II (S2), Galaxy S III (S3), Galaxy S IV (S4), Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Note 3.0 & HTC M8.

It worked for the Galaxy S II (S2) and the HTC M8 with the following IDs:
    Code:
     ID 04e8:685e Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100 Phone [Galaxy S II]

&

Code:
     ID 0bb4:0f25 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.)

This method did not work for the Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy Ace 2 & Galaxy Note 3.0, all with the following ID.
    Code:
     ID 04e8:6860 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

It turned out that the problem in the devices I checked was in the Samsung mobile phones issued in the generation of Galaxy S III and later. Those phones carrying the ID shown above, and later phones from Samsung just won't work with the method explained in this topic. Galaxy S II did not need this method to connect through MTP to the computer with no problems, and when I applied this way explained in the tutorial, nothing changed, and the mobile was still connecting correctly. In smaller scale did the HTC. However, in the HTC M8 case, the media (audio, video and images) worked fine through MTP when I connected the phone to the computer, but there was some limitation in other things, such as browsing documents which did not work.

When I implemented the method explained things worked fine as they do in Windows (at least for me during my quick test). Note that I noticed that when I connected the phone without changing the permissions of the phone in the rules files I created earlier, as explained on topic, the documents did not work, while the media did work and the icons of the photos and videos had avatars (if it is correct to say that) showing the content of the photo/video file. However, when I applied the changes in the rule files, everything went well, except that the icons of the photo/video files showed nothing related to the content, but just standard avatars in green for the photos and blue for the videos (this in LinuxMint, I don't know how that would look in Ubuntu).

Note that for the mentioned Samsung Galaxy phones (with an exception for Galaxy Ace 2), the connection with the PC in LinuxMint (it should apply to Ubuntu and Zorin OS also) works using the PTP USB Computer Connection setting (which you can access from the notification bar when you connect you mobile to the computer). Galaxy Ace 2 as I noticed does not support PTP with its Android 2.3.6, but does originally support Mass Storage Connection (in contrast with the other new Samsung phones I mentioned). Using Mass Storage Connection, you can access your files from a LinuxMint (or Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based systems). For explanation about connecting you data using Mass Storage Connection, you can pay a visit to the following link with an explanation. The explanation for Android 4.0 applies to Android 2.3.6 (as in the case of Galaxy Ace 2).
    http://www.device-recovery.com/how-t...s-storage-mode

To sum up, this method is not required for Galaxy S II, required to obtain full connection functionality for HTC M8 (without this method you can browse only the media files but not documents), and it does not work for Samsung Galaxy mobile phones that have the ID 04e8:6860 (such as Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 3.0). The connection of the mentioned Samsung Galaxy mobile phones works with no need for this method on the PTP connection setting.
    Last edited by Banshee-2007; November 3rd, 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

@jdarby1983, thank you very much for your effort.

Using your tutorial I managed to connect my Wiko Highway Signs (which is an Android phone) to my Trusty Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

For completeness of information, I must say that some of the steps you suggest were not necessary for me. I just added the lines

Code:
    # WIKO Highway Signs
    ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="2008", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", MODE="660", GROUP="audio", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"
    to file
    Code:
     /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules
    mtp-tools were already up to date.

I just executed

Code:
    sudo service udev restart
    (no reboot).

So, as a personal remark, I would suggest to people with the same problem, first of all to try the minimal solution (add rule to 69-libmtp.rules and restart udev). If the problem persists, go ahead with the full solution. Moreover, I am not an expert of libmtp, but reading file /lib/udev/rules.d/README, there is the danger that updates to libmtp will overwrite my changes, so be warned!

I also submitted a bug report to

Code:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/libmtp/bugs/
    and I hope in future versions the issue will be solved. I think that everybody exxperiencing the same problem with another phone or device should contribute to the community.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast