Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Connection was working, now is not

I'm trying to connect my Android phone to Kubuntu. At one point I had the connection working just fine -- and then it stopped working. The relevant lsusb entry is:
    Bus 003 Device 007: ID 1004:631c LG Electronics, Inc.

My entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules is:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1004", ATTR{idProduct}=="*",MODE="0666", OWNER="pwa", GROUP="plugdev" # MTP mode with USB debug on
    But I get:
    Code:
    pwa@lentinus:~$ adb devices
    List of devices attached 

pwa@lentinus:~$
    I suspect that something I've done has messed up the Android filesystem, but I have no idea how to check that out. It might be related to disconnecting the Android from the USB port improperly.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Followed this to connect my Lenovo S860 with good results-- previously, upon connected with USB, mounting with MTP just gave me a disc image to be run on PC with some .exe files. Following this guide, upon reboot, Lenovo S860 comes up as an internal storage disc with full access to files therein. Was able to drag and drop my music from Ubuntu onto the phone via USB just as desired. Thanks.

Beans

Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I've been following this whole thing with great interest. Oddly enough, this is a recent issue: I was able to browse my Samsung SIII (S3) a few months ago, with debugging set off on the phone, by just plugging it into a USB port. Yes, that action would initially generate an error, but then, Nemo (I use Linux Mint) would come up and I could browse the phone just like a shared network drive.
    All this ended recently.

Now, from what I've read in the thread so far, it appears the OP's strategy worked for some Android (even later flavours, it seemed) phones and devices, but notoriously, Samsungs appeared to be resistant to the technique.
    Just curious: before I embark on this exercise... has any Samsung S3/S4 user been able to successfully access the phone via this method?

Beans

Jdarby you've saved my bacon. Excellent. Now I no longer get the 'Unable to mount MTP device' message. Many thanks.
    (FYI: my device is a HUDL and I'm running Ubuntu 14.10)
    Last edited by jumbo3; November 20th, 2014 at 04:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Followed jdarby's post slavishly for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Samsung Fame phone; phone not recognised when mounted.
    Prior to following jdarby the phone was at least recognised as usb device - if not accessible.
    I notice Banshee's recent post about changing to PTP .... cannot see how to do ...... any help welcome ! Thanks in advance

Played around a bit more; realised that reference to changing to PTP by Banshee is on phone notification. Tried this and can now communicate in PTP to phone. Connection seems a bit " delicate" ..... but at least I can now access phone.( Thanks Banshee-2007). Any further info on how to make it communicate as MTP device welcome.
    Last edited by howefield; January 30th, 2016 at 01:55 PM.

Beans

Hi:

Thanks you very much for the tutorial, but unfortunatly, doen't rule for me and my Samsung ACE II. My problem is at the 3th step, the mobile never apperars. I use the key: 04e8:6860 indicated in a previous comment, but it is not the solution.

Bye

Beans

Thanks a lot jdarby1983!

Your how-to fixed the file transfer with my HP Slate 7!

This device, for whatever reason, was automatically managed by gvfs-gphoto2, that has apparently issues in handling huge files. In my Ubuntu I did not have the files /lib/udev/rules.d/69-mtp.rules and /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules, so I created them following the example lines you posted, and now my HP Slate 7 is managed by gvfs-mtp, that works much better in file transfers!

Beans

Thumbs up Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Great !!, works for my Xiaomi Redmi 1s...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hi. I basically understand all the steps but could someone please help this novice through Step 2. I am unused to Terminal usage and can't seem to find a way to " to remove the # from the below line of code for user_allow_other, like so..." What keyboard usage is necessary to make a change to the file within the terminal please? I can't seem to do any editing? Once I know how to do this I am sure I can proceed through the tutorial.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TedinOz View Post
    Hi. I basically understand all the steps but could someone please help this novice through Step 2. I am unused to Terminal usage and can't seem to find a way to " to remove the # from the below line of code for user_allow_other, like so..." What keyboard usage is necessary to make a change to the file within the terminal please? I can't seem to do any editing? Once I know how to do this I am sure I can proceed through the tutorial.

Thank you.
    Right...solved my own problem here thanks to http://askubuntu.com/questions/54221...inal-with-nano. Ubuntu remains a marvel to me with all the support available!
    Thanks for the thread and the tutorial. Finally connected my Asus Zenfone 5 and all is working beautifully!
    Last edited by howefield; January 30th, 2016 at 01:55 PM.
    Toshiba Satellite L300
    'Keeping on trying is not so trying after all'

Beans

absolutely worked like a charm for me....explained it so well that am totally amateur to both android and linux, yet i got it right the first time....

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast