Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Re: [How-To] Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by jdarby1983 View Post
    Also great to here of the other devices users have managed to successfully mount following the guide
    Thank you for the guide, @jdarby1983. Confirming that this worked for a Sony Z1 Compact [D5503]. The device id is reported as 01a7.

The device's internal memory and SD card contents are accessible through Nemo on my system as an attached device, in addition to gMTP and Banshee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ewr2san View Post
    Kubuntu 14.04 people who had MTP working on a previous release may find that all they need to do is edit /etc/fuse.conf and uncomment #user_allow_other
    Thanks! That seems to have fixed my problems.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Works great for me.

I'm a new ubuntu user, and this was so helpful.

Test on ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Smartphone: Motorola Razr D1

Thank you !

Beans

Thanks for the tutorial, but i cant connect my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone to Ubuntu 14.04 LTE. I have followed your instructions and changed the id of the device and then rebooted from terminal.

# Samsung Galaxy S4ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", SYMLINK+="libmtp-%k", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1"

But still cant connect

Thanks in Advance,

Peivand

Beans

I've tried to configure my android phone, and it has worked momentarily, but then, I've activated the debug mode and mtp has stopped working.
    I've executed lsusb, and I've saw that the idProduct has changed (but not the idVendor). Then, I've tried to reconfigure my android phone with the new idProduct, but it hasn't worked...
    Any idea?

PD: Sorry for my bad english... (I'm spanish...)

Beans

Re: Connect an Android device using MTP in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I had installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, by doing only Step 3, 4 & 6 is already good enough to hook up my Xperia Z1 Compact, I can access both internal storage as well as SDCard of the phone.

For Step 3, I think you need to do 2 times. 1 time with USB Debugging Off and 1 time with USB Debugging ON in order to get the 2 different Product ID, then you need to add these 2 ID in Step 4 as 2 seperate lines

For Step 5, I think this is not related to MTP. Unless you want to use "adb" and "fastboot" with the phone, you may skip this step.

Quote Originally Posted by serra19 View Post
    I've tried to configure my android phone, and it has worked momentarily, but then, I've activated the debug mode and mtp has stopped working.
    I've executed lsusb, and I've saw that the idProduct has changed (but not the idVendor). Then, I've tried to reconfigure my android phone with the new idProduct, but it hasn't worked...
    Any idea?

PD: Sorry for my bad english... (I'm spanish...)
    For Step 3, I think you need to do 2 times. 1 time with USB Debugging Off and 1 time with USB Debugging ON in order to get the 2 different Product ID, then you need to add these 2 ID in Step 4 as 2 seperate lines (one Product ID per line).
    Last edited by howefield; January 30th, 2016 at 01:54 PM.

Beans

I've tried that, but it doesn't work with USB debugging on...

Beans

This works for my Samsung Galaxy S2. Strangely, there was already an MTP rule for my vendor : product ID, but it has never worked properly - it showed up as an MTP device after plugging in, but I always got an error dialog. This tutorial fixed it. It is late August now, and there were two things that were different for me from this tutorial: 1. I have a 69-libmtp.rules file instead of 69-mtp.rules, and 2. I needed to create the android rules file since it did not exist already. Apart from that it worked like a boss! Kudos.

Beans

First, the OP's instructions worked flawlessly for me on the following phone:

Samsung SGH-T599
    Android: 4.1.2
    TMobile

So thank you extremely on that basis.

BUT!!!!

My phone is protected with encryption on the SD card and this technique totally and completely defeats the phone's encryption! Not kidding at all - spanks it cold. I assume law enforcement already knows about this trick .
    Last edited by Jim March; August 27th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Beans

@jdarby1983: Thank you that tutorial helped me connecting to my SONY Xperia Z2 Mobile Phone!!!

Funnily I had to switch off the "USB Debugging" option to show up. Because it was formerly recommended to do so, maybe you can add it to your post?

I followed your instructions but before I had not gone through the whole thread, I only saw the device D6503 without any content.

I came lately from an distribution upgrade and had different issues before in 12.04 (now upgraded to 14.04, which was not bug-free) and found the following beginning of the /lib/udev/rules.d/69-libmtp.rules:

Code:
    Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.# UDEV-style hotplug map for libmtp
    # Put this file in /etc/udev/rules.d

ACTION!="add", GOTO="libmtp_rules_end" ENV{MAJOR}!="?*", GOTO="libmtp_rules_end" SUBSYSTEM=="usb", GOTO="libmtp_usb_rules" GOTO="libmtp_rules_end"  
    LABEL="libmtp_usb_rules"  

[...]
    I copied the file - after the changes in your tutorial, commented out the first line - according to line 2 to directory /etc/udev/rules.d/ (did not exist before)
    Maybe then the 51-android.rules file isn't necessary any more? As far as I understood these scripts in rules.d they are processed in the order of the number they are prefixed.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast