Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to install and operate Kingsoft office on Ubunto 14

Beans

Re: Trying to install and operate Kingston office on Ubunto 14

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    I think OP opted for Kingsoft office because it does save the documents in MS office format by default and it looks very similar to MS. But that was an old news, I too used it for only month or so and went back to Libre office. If we can't trust US I doubt we can trust China
    Well, according to this blog post below, Canonical is teaming up with Kingsoft to produce a business version. Can we get a confirmation on that?

http://opensuseadventures.blogspot.c...-take-out.html

Beans

Thanks for all the suggestions. A couple of points I meant to write Kingsoft not Kingston.
    Why Kingsoft ? I used it with XP and was used to it. However the main reason was I am very new to Ubunto I am trying to find out how to use it on a second computer mostly by trial and error before I switch. The literature for beginners is not so easy to follow for example I had a message that the programme is started from a terminal and I had no idea what a terminal is

It keeps me occupied

Stan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stanley3 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. A couple of points I meant to write Kingsoft not Kingston.
    Why Kingsoft ? I used it with XP and was used to it. However the main reason was I am very new to Ubunto I am trying to find out how to use it on a second computer mostly by trial and error before I switch. The literature for beginners is not so easy to follow for example I had a message that the programme is started from a terminal and I had no idea what a terminal is

It keeps me occupied

Stan
    Google is my best friend whenever I find myself in similar situations. Try to be more precise with searches and you will often have desired answers withing few minutes. Especially when you are using something like Linux which is quite well documented.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by stanley3 View Post
    . However the main reason was I am very new to Ubunto I am trying to find out how to use it on a second computer mostly by trial and error before I switch. The literature for beginners is not so easy to follow for example I had a message that the programme is started from a terminal and I had no idea what a terminal is
    First things first , it is Ubuntu not Ubunto

Next, Kingsoft office, once installed can be started from the Icons and Terminal is not required.
    Once installed, if you are using Ubuntu 14.04, you can search them from the 'Dash' which is the first icon on the 'Dock' on the left side of your screen.
    A terminal is the Command line way to interact with your system. You can find it by using the shortcut : Ctrl+T when in Desktop, or again, you can use the 'Dash' to find the terminal.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trying to install and operate Kingsoft office on Ubunto 14

If you haven't managed to install it yet, the following method should work. All you need is the terminal (open it with CTRL+ALT+T or search in the dash, "ter" should be enough) and lots of patience (it can take several minutes, don't close the terminal before everything is finished, ie, when it gets back to a line with your username and "$"):

You need to know whether you Ubuntu is 32 or 64-bit because the package you're going to install is for 32-bit systems. Installing in a 64-bit system requires additional step prior to the actual installation. That said use the following commands, one at the time and one per line. Copy from here with CTRL+C as usual or right-click -> Copy, then paste it in the terminal right after the $ symbol with CTRL+SHIFT+V or right-click -> Paste, then ENTER; type your password when prompted.

For 64-bit systems only (start with the commands in the next code box if yours is 32-bit)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update
    For 32-bit/64-bit systems (this is the actual download, installation and removal of DEB package when no longer needed)
    Code:
    cd && wget -O kingsoft-office-NoobsLab.deb  http://drive.noobslab.com/data/apps/kingsoft-office/kingsoft-office_9.1.0.4280~a12p4_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i kingsoft-office-NoobsLab.deb
    rm kingsoft-office-NoobsLab.deb
    Original source: http://www.noobslab.com/2013/05/micr...-kingsoft.html
    Galiza Nação!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12