Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trusty Tahr is simply beautiful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trusty Tahr is simply beautiful.

I spent all day yesterday installing Trusty Tahr. It is absolutely beautiful. The only reason why I need to dual boot at this point is for MS Office since I do not fully trust Libreoffice for my excel and word processing.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sports fan Matt View Post
    I spent all day yesterday installing Trusty Tahr. It is absolutely beautiful. The only reason why I need to dual boot at this point is for MS Office since I do not fully trust Libreoffice for my excel and word processing.
    You can either run MSO in wine or even VB if you *have to* use it. Dual boot makes things unnecessarily complicated (especially with Win8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, I don't have a lot of trouble with MSO in Wine. Or at least, I didn't the last time I had it installed (2010 on 13.04 or 13.10.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Actually I downgraded to W7, because of that
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Dual boot makes things unnecessarily complicated (especially with Win8)
    Quote Originally Posted by sports fan Matt View Post
    Actually I downgraded to W7, because of that
    It is definitely more complicated that with previous Windows versions, but I was able to dual-boot 14.04 with Windows 8.1 pretty easily just by doing a quick google search.

For example, the only real problem I had was disabling secure boot, which by default is greyed out in my BIOS settings. I had to temporarily add a supervisor password for the BIOS and then I could disable secure boot. Other than that, I installed ubuntu normally and I did not have to use boot-repair or anything special to get grub working (and showing both ubuntu and windows entries).

Back on the topic though, I agree so far this release seems rock solid and polished. I haven't used such a stable ubuntu release in a while. I can finally say, unity has won me over hehe.

I am on an Acer V5 with pure AMD hardware if anyone is interested.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    It is definitely more complicated that with previous Windows versions, but I was able to dual-boot 14.04 with Windows 8.1 pretty easily just by doing a quick google search.

For example, the only real problem I had was disabling secure boot, which by default is greyed out in my BIOS settings. I had to temporarily add a supervisor password for the BIOS and then I could disable secure boot. Other than that, I installed ubuntu normally and I did not have to use boot-repair or anything special to get grub working (and showing both ubuntu and windows entries).

Yeah, but why go through all these troubles if you don't need Windows? You might have had an easy time but depending on the actual hardware dual booting with Win8 may be more problematic to set up, just take a look at some threads here and links to exceptions. Dual booting with Win8 also imposes other restrictions/inflexibilities like you must boot in UEFI mode and this in turn makes multibooting with other Linux distros and maintainence more tricky.

MS doesn't like dual boot and it has gone out of its way to make it difficult, I don't feel like doing any extra work and tiptoing my way around just to accomodate Windows if I don't have to. My attitude is that Linux is my OS of choice, if Windows doesn't play nice with it it can go to hell.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since I'm using only Ubuntu on my u-book, I actually have secure boot enabled. (Pity I can't actually blacklist Windows, of course. = P)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12