Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I also notice that you installed bum and rcconf. Why?

    Were you following some guide like this:

    http://ksearch.wordpress.com/2014/05...u-performance/

    If so just chalk it up to experience and reinstall.
    I did follow a tutorial like that, not exactly that one but it was similair to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Plus - what's this about -
    install unity8-desktop-session-mir
    My Unity did not work right, then i followed a tutorial and then it did.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    This is a last-ditch effort so if you choose to proceed just understand that there are no guarantess! If things blow up you get to keep all of the peices! If one step in the process fails DO NOT proceed with the rest (or even reboot or log out) until you figure out why!

    If you've not already backed up any important data to an external source do so now!

    Open System Settings > User Accounts, unlock, select Automatic Login = Off, lock again, then run:

    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    Select lightdm as the default display manager (just use the arrow keys to highlight lightdm and the Tab key to select OK, then the Enter key to complete), then close all running apps and reboot. You should be confronted with the Unity Greeter but if you automatically just login then go back to System Settings > User Accounts, unlock, select Automatic Login = Off, lock again. Then perform another reboot to be sure auto-login is off and be sure to select Ubuntu as the running session.

    Only once that completes successfully you can proceed to remove the unwanted bits:

    NOTE: The command is incredibly long so must be properly copy-n-pasted. It ends with && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^ which is important because an incomplete command will leave you with a totally borked system!

    The ^ is NOT a typo, it invokes tasksel and helps resolve missing dependencies but it must never be used in conjunction with apt-get remove!

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge xfwm4 gdm gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gir1.2-gck-1 gir1.2-gcr-3 gir1.2-gdm-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-gtop-2.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-nmgtk-1.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs gnome-icon-theme-full gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions gnome-themes-standard gnome-themes-standard-data gtk2-engines-pixbuf libcaribou-common libcaribou0 libgdm1 libgjs0e libmozjs-24-0 libmutter0c libxcb-xf86dri0 mutter-common xserver-xephyr alacarte gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-media gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-session-flashback gnome-settings-daemon gstreamer0.10-gconf indicator-applet-complete libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 libgoa-backend-1.0-1 libpanel-applet-4-0 metacity notification-daemon audacious audacious-plugins audacious-plugins-data fvwm fvwm-crystal fvwm-icons gawk gtk2-engines-pixbuf hsetroot imagemagick imagemagick-common libaudclient2 libaudcore1 libbinio1ldbl libbs2b0 libcue1 libencode-locale-perl libfile-listing-perl libfont-afm-perl libgif4 libglade2-0 libguess1 libhtml-form-perl libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libhttp-cookies-perl libhttp-daemon-perl libhttp-date-perl libhttp-message-perl libhttp-negotiate-perl libid3tag0 libimlib2 libio-html-perl libjpeg-progs libjpeg-turbo-progs liblqr-1-0 liblwp-mediatypes-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmagickcore5 libmagickcore5-extra libmagickwand5 libmowgli2 libmpdclient2 libnet-http-perl libnetpbm10 libperl4-corelibs-perl librplay3 libsidplayfp libsigsegv2 libstroke0 libwww-perl libwww-robotrules-perl libx11-protocol-perl mpc netpbm perl-tk pmount trayer xscreensaver xscreensaver-data  account-plugin-ubuntuone accountsservice-ubuntu-schemas accountsservice-ubuntu-touch-schemas apparmor-easyprof apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu click click-apparmor gir1.2-click-0.4 gir1.2-gee-0.8 gir1.2-json-1.0 gsettings-ubuntu-touch-schemas indicator-network libandroid-properties1 libboost-iostreams1.54.0 libboost-program-options1.54.0 libboost-serialization1.54.0 libcapnp-0.4.0 libclick-0.4-0 libcontent-hub0 libdbus-cpp2 libdee-qt5-3 libgflags2 libgoogle-glog0 libhud-client2 libhybris-common1 libjsoncpp0 liblttng-ust-ctl2 liblttng-ust0 libmediascanner-2.0-0 libmirclient7 libmirclientplatform-mesa libmirplatform libmirplatformgraphics-mesa libmirprotobuf0 libmirserver18 libofono-qt1 libonline-accounts-client1 libpgm-5.1-0 libprocess-cpp1 libqdjango-db0 libqgsttools-p1 libqmenumodel0 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediaquick-p5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5systeminfo5 libqt5xmlpatterns5 libsystemsettings1 libubuntu-application-api-mirclient1 libubuntu-application-api-mirserver1 libubuntu-application-api-test1 libubuntu-application-api1 libubuntu-download-manager-client0 libubuntu-download-manager-common0 libubuntu-download-manager-priv0 libubuntu-location-service0 libubuntu-platform-hardware-api1 libubuntuoneauth-2.0-0 libunity-api0 libunity-mir1 libunity-scopes1 libunwind8 libupstart-app-launch2 liburcu1 libusermetricsoutput1 libzmq3 libzmqpp3 mediascanner2.0 packagekit-tools python3-apparmor python3-apparmor-click python3-click python3-gnupg python3-libapparmor qmenumodel-qml qtdeclarative5-dee-plugin qtdeclarative5-folderlistmodel-plugin qtdeclarative5-gsettings1.0 qtdeclarative5-qtmultimedia-plugin qtdeclarative5-systeminfo-plugin qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-content0.1 qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-settings-components qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-settings-components-assets qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-thumbnailer0.1 qtdeclarative5-ubuntuone1.0 qtdeclarative5-unity-notifications-plugin qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin qtubuntu-desktop qtubuntu-sensors sqlite3 suru-icon-theme system-image-common system-image-dbus thumbnailer-service ubuntu-download-manager ubuntu-keyboard-data ubuntu-mobile-icons ubuntu-purchase-service ubuntu-system-settings ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts ubuntu-touch-sounds ubuntuone-credentials-common unity-plugin-scopes unity-scope-click unity-scope-mediascanner2 unity-scope-scopes unity-system-compositor unity8 unity8-desktop-session-mir unity8-private upstart-app-launch upstart-app-launch-tools url-dispatcher usermetricsservice && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
    Only once that is complete (which will take a long time) run:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Then run each of the following commands - DO NOT use sudo!

    Code:
    mv .compiz .compiz_OLD
    Code:
    mv .config .config_OLD
    Code:
    mv .gconf .gconf_OLD
    Code:
    mv .local .local_OLD
    Code:
    mv .cache .cache_OLD
    Then reboot. The Ubuntu session should be the only one offered on the login screen so select it (if a selection is even offered) and login with your fingers crossed. That should get things as close to "out-of-box" as I'm capable of.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    This is a last-ditch effort so if you choose to proceed just understand that there are no guarantess! If things blow up you get to keep all of the peices! If one step in the process fails DO NOT proceed with the rest (or even reboot or log out) until you figure out why!

    If you've not already backed up any important data to an external source do so now!

    Open System Settings > User Accounts, unlock, select Automatic Login = Off, lock again, then run:

    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    Select lightdm as the default display manager (just use the arrow keys to highlight lightdm and the Tab key to select OK, then the Enter key to complete), then close all running apps and reboot. You should be confronted with the Unity Greeter but if you automatically just login then go back to System Settings > User Accounts, unlock, select Automatic Login = Off, lock again. Then perform another reboot to be sure auto-login is off and be sure to select Ubuntu as the running session.
    I cannot select anything, when i paste in the line in my terminal nothing happends:

    Code:
    Gijs:~# sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    Gijs:~#
    Any ideas why?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    The ^ is NOT a typo, it invokes tasksel and helps resolve missing dependencies but it must never be used in conjunction with apt-get remove!

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge xfwm4 gdm gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gir1.2-gck-1 gir1.2-gcr-3 gir1.2-gdm-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 gir1.2-gtop-2.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-nmgtk-1.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gjs gnome-icon-theme-full gnome-shell gnome-shell-extensions gnome-themes-standard gnome-themes-standard-data gtk2-engines-pixbuf libcaribou-common libcaribou0 libgdm1 libgjs0e libmozjs-24-0 libmutter0c libxcb-xf86dri0 mutter-common xserver-xephyr alacarte gir1.2-gconf-2.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-data gnome-media gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-session-flashback gnome-settings-daemon gstreamer0.10-gconf indicator-applet-complete libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0 libgoa-backend-1.0-1 libpanel-applet-4-0 metacity notification-daemon audacious audacious-plugins audacious-plugins-data fvwm fvwm-crystal fvwm-icons gawk gtk2-engines-pixbuf hsetroot imagemagick imagemagick-common libaudclient2 libaudcore1 libbinio1ldbl libbs2b0 libcue1 libencode-locale-perl libfile-listing-perl libfont-afm-perl libgif4 libglade2-0 libguess1 libhtml-form-perl libhtml-format-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl libhtml-tree-perl libhttp-cookies-perl libhttp-daemon-perl libhttp-date-perl libhttp-message-perl libhttp-negotiate-perl libid3tag0 libimlib2 libio-html-perl libjpeg-progs libjpeg-turbo-progs liblqr-1-0 liblwp-mediatypes-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl libmagickcore5 libmagickcore5-extra libmagickwand5 libmowgli2 libmpdclient2 libnet-http-perl libnetpbm10 libperl4-corelibs-perl librplay3 libsidplayfp libsigsegv2 libstroke0 libwww-perl libwww-robotrules-perl libx11-protocol-perl mpc netpbm perl-tk pmount trayer xscreensaver xscreensaver-data  account-plugin-ubuntuone accountsservice-ubuntu-schemas accountsservice-ubuntu-touch-schemas apparmor-easyprof apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu click click-apparmor gir1.2-click-0.4 gir1.2-gee-0.8 gir1.2-json-1.0 gsettings-ubuntu-touch-schemas indicator-network libandroid-properties1 libboost-iostreams1.54.0 libboost-program-options1.54.0 libboost-serialization1.54.0 libcapnp-0.4.0 libclick-0.4-0 libcontent-hub0 libdbus-cpp2 libdee-qt5-3 libgflags2 libgoogle-glog0 libhud-client2 libhybris-common1 libjsoncpp0 liblttng-ust-ctl2 liblttng-ust0 libmediascanner-2.0-0 libmirclient7 libmirclientplatform-mesa libmirplatform libmirplatformgraphics-mesa libmirprotobuf0 libmirserver18 libofono-qt1 libonline-accounts-client1 libpgm-5.1-0 libprocess-cpp1 libqdjango-db0 libqgsttools-p1 libqmenumodel0 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediaquick-p5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5systeminfo5 libqt5xmlpatterns5 libsystemsettings1 libubuntu-application-api-mirclient1 libubuntu-application-api-mirserver1 libubuntu-application-api-test1 libubuntu-application-api1 libubuntu-download-manager-client0 libubuntu-download-manager-common0 libubuntu-download-manager-priv0 libubuntu-location-service0 libubuntu-platform-hardware-api1 libubuntuoneauth-2.0-0 libunity-api0 libunity-mir1 libunity-scopes1 libunwind8 libupstart-app-launch2 liburcu1 libusermetricsoutput1 libzmq3 libzmqpp3 mediascanner2.0 packagekit-tools python3-apparmor python3-apparmor-click python3-click python3-gnupg python3-libapparmor qmenumodel-qml qtdeclarative5-dee-plugin qtdeclarative5-folderlistmodel-plugin qtdeclarative5-gsettings1.0 qtdeclarative5-qtmultimedia-plugin qtdeclarative5-systeminfo-plugin qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-content0.1 qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-settings-components qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-settings-components-assets qtdeclarative5-ubuntu-thumbnailer0.1 qtdeclarative5-ubuntuone1.0 qtdeclarative5-unity-notifications-plugin qtdeclarative5-xmllistmodel-plugin qtubuntu-desktop qtubuntu-sensors sqlite3 suru-icon-theme system-image-common system-image-dbus thumbnailer-service ubuntu-download-manager ubuntu-keyboard-data ubuntu-mobile-icons ubuntu-purchase-service ubuntu-system-settings ubuntu-system-settings-online-accounts ubuntu-touch-sounds ubuntuone-credentials-common unity-plugin-scopes unity-scope-click unity-scope-mediascanner2 unity-scope-scopes unity-system-compositor unity8 unity8-desktop-session-mir unity8-private upstart-app-launch upstart-app-launch-tools url-dispatcher usermetricsservice && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop^
    Only once that is complete (which will take a long time) run:
    That gave me an error:

    Code:
    Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package 'gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-clutter-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-cogl-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-coglpango-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gkbd-3.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gtop-2.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-polkit-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-xkl-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gstreamer0.10-gconf' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libid3tag0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libimlib2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libperl4-corelibs-perl' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api-mirclient1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'alacarte' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm-crystal' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm-icons' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-caribou-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-applets' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-applets-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-media' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'hsetroot' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'indicator-applet-complete' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libcaribou-common' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libcaribou0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmozjs-24-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmpdclient2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmutter0c' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'librplay3' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libstroke0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api-test1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libx11-protocol-perl' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'mpc' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'perl-tk' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'pmount' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'qtubuntu-desktop' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'qtubuntu-sensors' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'trayer' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'unity-system-compositor' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'unity8-desktop-session-mir' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-nmgtk-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-panel' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-panel-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libpanel-applet-4-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-session-flashback' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gdm' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gjs' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'mutter-common' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-shell' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-themes-standard' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-mutter-3.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-shell-extensions' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gck-1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gcr-3' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-themes-standard-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgjs0e' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgdm1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gdm-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     default-jre : Depends: openjdk-7-jre (>= 7~u3-2.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Odd, I can see that gdm was installed along with gnome-shell but not where it was removed. Better have you post the output of both of these:

    Code:
    apt-cache policy lightdm
    Code:
    apt-cache policy gdm

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Odd, I can see that gdm was installed along with gnome-shell but not where it was removed. Better have you post the output of both of these:

    Code:
    apt-cache policy lightdm
    Code:
    lightdm:
      Installed: 1.10.1-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 1.10.1-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 1.10.1-0ubuntu1 0
            500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
         1.10.0-0ubuntu3 0
            500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Code:
    apt-cache policy gdm
    Code:
    gdm:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 3.12.2-0ubuntu1~trusty1
      Version table:
         3.12.2-0ubuntu1~trusty1 0
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3-staging/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
         3.10.0.1-0ubuntu3 0
            500 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by gijs2 View Post
    That gave me an error:

    Code:
    Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package 'gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-clutter-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-cogl-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-coglpango-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gkbd-3.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gtop-2.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-polkit-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-xkl-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gstreamer0.10-gconf' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libid3tag0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libimlib2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libperl4-corelibs-perl' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api-mirclient1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'alacarte' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm-crystal' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'fvwm-icons' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-caribou-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-applets' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-applets-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-media' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'hsetroot' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'indicator-applet-complete' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libcaribou-common' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libcaribou0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgnome-media-profiles-3.0-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmozjs-24-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmpdclient2' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libmutter0c' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'librplay3' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libstroke0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libubuntu-application-api-test1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libx11-protocol-perl' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'mpc' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'perl-tk' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'pmount' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'qtubuntu-desktop' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'qtubuntu-sensors' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'trayer' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'unity-system-compositor' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'unity8-desktop-session-mir' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-nmgtk-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-panel' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-panel-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libpanel-applet-4-0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-session-flashback' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gdm' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gjs' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'mutter-common' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-shell' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-themes-standard' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-mutter-3.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-shell-extensions' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gck-1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gcr-3' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gnome-themes-standard-data' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgjs0e' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'libgdm1' is not installed, so not removed
    Package 'gir1.2-gdm-1.0' is not installed, so not removed
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
    
    
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     default-jre : Depends: openjdk-7-jre (>= 7~u3-2.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    Probably something broken from installing this:

    Start-Date: 2014-05-20 14:08:31
    Commandline: apt-get install smartgithg
    Install: gcj-jre-headless:amd64 (4.8.2-1ubuntu6, automatic), smartgithg:amd64 (5.0.8-0~eugenesan~trusty1), liberror-perl:amd64 (0.17-1.1, automatic), git-man:amd64 (1.9.1-1, automatic), git:amd64 (1.9.1-1, automatic), libgcj-common:amd64 (4.8.2-1ubuntu6, automatic), gcj-4.8-jre-lib:amd64 (4.8.2-19ubuntu1, automatic), mercurial-common:amd64 (2.8.2-1ubuntu1, automatic), gcj-4.8-jre-headless:amd64 (4.8.2-19ubuntu1, automatic), mercurial:amd64 (2.8.2-1ubuntu1, automatic), libgcj14:amd64 (4.8.2-19ubuntu1, automatic)
    End-Date: 2014-05-20 14:08:57
    I'd noticed you'd also installed yum. Almost impossible to resolve dependencies when packages have been compiled from source or installed via means other than an operating systems own package management system.

    I very strongly recommend you simply reinstall and use more caution applying changes next time.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Probably something broken from installing this:



    I'd noticed you'd also installed yum. Almost impossible to resolve dependencies when packages have been compiled from source or installed via means other than an operating systems own package management system.

    I very strongly recommend you simply reinstall and use more caution applying changes next time.
    Smartgithg isn't the problem, Yum could be.

    If I reinstall Ubuntu, would i have to reset my hard disk or is there a repair thing?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,772

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    I just noticed you even have the gnome3 staging PPA installed

    https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+..._filter=trusty

    What all PPA's do you have installed?

    You should use ppa-purge to clean up the PPA mess and then try that long command again.

    You really have created quite a mess and you clearly don't read and follow directions as requested, eg that PPA clearly states:

    === *WARNING* ===
    The packages here have been deemed not ready for general use, they have known bugs and/or regressions, sometimes of a critical nature. Mostly things should run smoothly but be prepared to use ppa-purge, when you encounter issues!

    If they break your system, you get to keep both halves.

    === Installing ===
    To use this PPA, you should enable the main GNOME3 PPA.

    - You need to run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' to avoid problems. Please read the output before entering 'Y' to make sure important packages won't be removed.

    === Removing ===
    Use ppa-purge to remove this PPA.
    And in post #62 I said:

    If one step in the process fails DO NOT proceed with the rest (or even reboot or log out) until you figure out why!
    But before I had a chance to respond to the display manager thing you jumped right in head first.

    So I'm done even attempting to help you.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Beans
    99

    Re: gconf-editor apps>metacity missing? 14.04

    Thanks for the troubles and thanks for all the effort.
    I've decided to reinstall Ubuntu and be more carefull in the future, so far everything seems to work and i've installed all my programs again so that's great.
    Solved~

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •