Thread: problem in installing utorrent

Beans

problem in installing utorrent

Hello Friends ,
    1)
    I am using Ubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu has given default torrent client as Transmission.
    But I am facing problem with it.
    When I use <removed> site to download torrent , it works perfectly. Means I can download torrent file ( few kb ) and then manually open it from Transmission.
    But when I use <removed> site to download torrent, I face problem. I cant download torrent file ( few kb ). When I hit on Get this Torrent , window of Launch Application open. There is a option
    Choose Application. But I didnt find application transmission in that.
    But when I use same site in Win 7 , it works perfectly.
    How to solve this problem ?

2)
    I am trying to install utorrent with the help of following site.

http://www.howopensource.com/2011/08...ubuntu-fedora/

But I can't create symbolic link so that I can run torrent server from terminal.
    How to solve this problem ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sandyd; May 26th, 2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: removing links to torrent sites

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: problem in installing utorrent

Apologies, this doesn't necessarily answer your question but offers an alternative.
    Deluge! It is a very capable client and is in the repos!

Code:
    sudo apt-get install deluge
    Hope this helps.
    I have a major malfunction!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

isn't utorrent in the repositories? if not try to get a .deb file.

you can also set tranmission to use magnet links. though i am not using that one myself.

deluge (GTK, Gnome -i think) and ktorrent (qt, KDE) are excelent alternatives (both opensource).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please stop suggesting other clients. It's as much ridiculous as the reason that started this thread.

@tusharkoshti - We shouldn't be helping you with that unless you're trying to use that website and the software for legal downloads. That said, the website in question usually gives two options, downloading a torrent file (by default associated with Transmission) or a magnet link (by default NOT associated with Transmission). So... Whenever available grab the torrent file (green double down arrows) instead of the magnet link (red magnet). You can associate the magnet link with Transmission and you need to do it only once. Transmission is at:
    Code:
     /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
    But the funny thing is you don't even need to do that because you can simply 1. copy the magnet link from the browser, 2. open Transmission and 3. File > Add URL... (your copied magnet link will be already there).
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ive removed links to illegal/questionable torrent sites/domains - please dont post them here

thanks
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    The best people in life are free - T.S.