Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

I've got Cox and it's decent, but even if it wasn't decent, it is either them or ATT. Unless I move and then it's a toss up depending on area.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No matter which ISP I go with, I'm pretty much limited to around 10Mbps down (or thereabouts) in my street, and, as near as I can make out, I won't have the option of something better until mid 2015 at the earliest. At least it's better than dial-up!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

so far so good - they promise 20/20 and deliver it. i wonder if i should get a newer package with 50/50?!? would that be worth the slight price increase?

the only part i do not like is the choice of TV channels. out of 180+ channels only 2 or maybe 3 have anything one can watch. all the rest same old stuff, boring reality shows. even the so called educational channels have only realiuty shows now. WTF happened with TV?! there is no good documentary or movie on. if they have it's usualyl some old TV series or movie. something from 2000 is not fresh content that would draw the viewers...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

It looks like India according to Mr. Google. I don't know what other ISPs are available there. I use Comcast and it's ok, except for dropping a bit or two here and there while playing WoW on my Mac. The one concern that I have from listening to Fox Business is that Comcast, and perhaps may others after the SCOTUS ruling, is 'considering' changing to a usage fee plan. I can't drop it because my wife needs it for work,but I plan to eventually try non-graphical internetting, kinda like we did using UNIX shells in the pre-web days, to save every bit, byte, word, and gobble.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by gtravis3 View Post
    It looks like India according to Mr. Google. I don't know what other ISPs are available there. I use Comcast and it's ok, except for dropping a bit or two here and there while playing WoW on my Mac. The one concern that I have from listening to Fox Business is that Comcast, and perhaps may others after the SCOTUS ruling, is 'considering' changing to a usage fee plan. I can't drop it because my wife needs it for work,but I plan to eventually try non-graphical internetting, kinda like we did using UNIX shells in the pre-web days, to save every bit, byte, word, and gobble.
    Yes its India. There are a lot of ISPs here namely
    BSNL broadband
    Airtel Broadband
    Reliance Broadband
    Tata Indicom broadband
    Sify broadband
    Hathway
    ZeeNext
    MTNL broadband
    YOU broadband
    Railwire Broadband
    Tikona WiBro
    Connect Broadband
    Spectranet Broadband

There are also a good number of small cable broadband providers.

What does "usage fee plan" mean exactly?
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

probably you pay as much as you use. as oposed to unlimited broadband plan.

i can (at least for now) set up home server and i think the max bandwidth avaialble to me is 100/100 Mbit. Unlimited data.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

''usage per pay'' plan would be similar to everything else we have here listed other than ''Unlimited''. It can vary from fixed data per amount to amount per kb of data. I suspect it is latter, if we take literal meaning.

Beans

The problem here (UK) is that your ADSL broadband is delivered over copper wires owned by a single commercial entity regardless of your actual ISP. Coupled with the fact that most of the UK is serviced by copper cabling that is generally 60 years old and poorly maintained, this monopoly effectively limits the performance and reliability you are likely to get at a given locality.

There are strict competition rules governing how the supplier can price wholesale physical connectivity - the same corporate group owns voice and ISP businesses which (we're led to believe are heavily scrutinised) but there is no incentive for the infrastructure provider to provide a better service where it is less cost-effective to do so.

So given that we can't choose to go with another supplier if the speed/reliability of our current one is inadequate.I'm reasonably happy with my current provider, but I probably wouldn't recommend them to new customers. From the look of it the majority of UK suppliers are moving away from high speed wired access (ADSL, VDSL, FttP) in favour of developing 4G platforms.presumably because it is easier to build a new infrastructure from scratch than to continue to deal with OpenReach.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by m-dw View Post
    The problem here (UK) is that your ADSL broadband is delivered over copper wires owned by a single commercial entity regardless of your actual ISP. Coupled with the fact that most of the UK is serviced by copper cabling that is generally 60 years old and poorly maintained, this monopoly effectively limits the performance and reliability you are likely to get at a given locality.
    Here in New Zealand, many of us are in the same boat: the ADSL is likewise delivered by one lines company, regardless of ISP. The situation with fibre isn't that much different. In most areas where there actually is coverage, there's often only one lines company able to provide a connection.

Speaking of copper wires, the connection from the street to my place is in a pretty shocking condition. I've never bothered spending the $$$ to get it fixed up properly.
    Last edited by lisati; May 27th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

here the situation is strange. plenty investment was made into infrastructure and the idea was that even some smaller town would have fiber. but then the eu came that told the company doing the investment (state owned) that they have to share the lines to avoid monopoly. so they said "we invest into infrastructure, share the line and the rest collect the profit. we won't do that." and they stopped.

it was ridiculous EU gesture. what would be right IMO is that the state would own the lines and if companies coinvested they would get a discount in usage if they didnt' they would pay a lot for using the lines.

anyway after that some other companies invested by themselve in part then they ran out... long story short in some towns and more rural areas connections on earth lines are patchy. and there is often local monopoly with inflated prices for internet access.

i am lucky that i live in a place where interests colided. so what i have is 2 fiber optics one next to the other, 1 copper cable from cable TV and copper phone cable. so i can choose from at least 4 different providers. using various cables for transfer. so of course i went with optics (most bang for the buck). so far so good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast