Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Hi,

I am using a government owned ISP called BSNL. In one word its pathetic. The speed, FUP everything sucks beyond imagination.

I have done some research about the broadband scenario of our country and what I found is a bit weird.

The future is going to be like this :

Wired broadband (mainly DSL) is unlikely to improve.

Mobile broadband (4G) will take over.

Despite the fact that 4G is already here it is pretty costly. But prices are expected to decrease soon.

Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

Possible things to consider : Tariff, Speed, FUP, QoS.
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are you satisfied with your ISP ?

You forgot to mention local no name providers who provide direct cable connections through local router without controlling modems unlike some known brands (ex: Hathway provides modems and limits the no. of connections directly through it, it also uploads your user specific file to Hathway local server on start-up/bootup which contains info like your modem and system mac and all, and only after tallying it, it will establish connection ).

Other than that you nailed the situation quite accurately, I doubt that; BSNL will axe its own foot by being overly manipulative in upcoming years.

I used Hathways since 2008 to 2013, but then switched to this no name provider. I admit that hathway had much better connectivity and support, but it was almost 5 times as costly as this one, so...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I use Verizon FIOS; its not bad; While mobile broadband may be the practical solution in a place like India, I doubt that it will become dominant in the USA for home internet, but I truly never considered it, so my opinion is less than a ruble in value.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have Charter for a ISP i am happy with there bottom tear service

yea that is there bottom tear, they used to have slower but they are not offered anymore and unless you still have them you can't have them

the only competion around here is verzon dsl which ended up being 0.79 down and 0.2 up and cost about 20% more when you have phone service and there net goes down all the time
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; May 25th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I happy with my ISP .... Tested Verizon Wireless (FIOS to router)
    download 24.39
    upload 8.62
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!

I am happy with Verizon FIOS. In 2 years it has only been down once for 1 hour. OOKLA speed test shows 58 Mbps down, 38 Mbps up, ping 10 ms. My wife still uses their TV/movie service bundle, we use Verizon smart phones; therefore, it is rather expensive.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; May 25th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

All you guys are getting descent speeds. The problem is the "evil" thing called FUP.

This effects a large population who are netflix users. I sometimes watch this show. They talk about these things all the time.

Top 8 Countries With World's Fastest Internet!
    Last edited by linuxyogi; May 26th, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

60 down and 11 up on Comcast. Very few service interruptions. We have the internet/phone/TV deal and we've been with them for a while, so our cost is lower than new customers.

Still, since Google announced FIOS coming to our area, Comcast dropped their price a bit. Amazing what a little competition can do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    60 down and 11 up on Comcast. Very few service interruptions. We have the internet/phone/TV deal and we've been with them for a while, so our cost is lower than new customers.

Still, since Google announced FIOS coming to our area, Comcast dropped their price a bit. Amazing what a little competition can do.
    Just to help you out a little more, I will send other providers your way. hehe!
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post

I have done some research about the broadband scenario of our country
    What country would that be??? I'm presuming India. We have people from all over the planet here ...

I use Bigpond cable in Australia and it's fine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast