Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QT Programs Not Conforming to GTK Themes on Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

QT Programs Not Conforming to GTK Themes on Unity

I have tried several different solutions across the Internet, and I still can't get Skype, VLC, Pidgin, or any other QT dependent app to be consistent with my GTK theme. (I use Numix Bluish, a mod of Numix that supports GTK2, GTK3, Openbox, Unity, Metacity, and XFCE4.) QTConfig4, or even QTConfig3 should have done the trick, but it's not, and I can't understand why.

This may be an issue specific to Unity, as I did not have these problems with XFCE last year. Now that I need a darker theme, and don't want to go back to XFCE, I'm running into problems. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by LillyDragon; May 30th, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Marking as solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: QT Programs Not Conforming to GTK Themes on Unity

This may be an issue specific to Unity,
    This is an old and on-gong problem that predates Unity and as you have discovered there are numerous work around/s that are successful for some users in some applications.

I am a pidgin user and have no theme variations on either computer on at least three different releases and didn't know it was a problem until your post . Bump the post as needed once a day , perhaps someone knows of a work around that you haven't attempted . Please list what you have tried so it is not suggested again.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

That's a good thought, Frogs Hair. I'll list what I tried.

I added this line to my .profile file. I also created a similar file named .xinitrc with this line for the heck of it.

Code:
    #apply gtk2.0 theme
    export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
    I have a manually created .gtkrc-2.0 file with this line, correctly stating my theme name.

Code:
    gtk-theme-name="Numix Bluish
    include "/usr/share/themes/Numix Bluish/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
    I used both the QT 4 Settings app, and its QT 3 counterpart, to set my QT theme to GTK+, instead of "unknown" or "desktop setting". I restarted X by logging out and logging back in, to see if it would take affect. (Which, it didn't.)

Also looked into installing QT themes, so I could at least have a dark theme for QT-based apps, but I can't wrap my head around installing one. I'm beginning to think QT themes are specifically for skinning apps while building them.

I tried putting this into the terminal, in case the theme was not set for GTK2 apps, but this did nothing.

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme "Numix Bluish"
    Lastly, I tried starting Skype with a specific GTK skin; also accomplished nothing. I tried it with an alternative theme as well, on the offchance it was Numix's fault.

Code:
    GTK2_RC_FILES="/usr/share/themes/Numix Bluish/gtk-2.0/gtkrc" skype
    So all of this has left me feeling rather frustrated. I simply want a global theme that's easier on my eyes while looking at the screen for long hours, but I can't understand what's making this more complicated than it has to be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    I have a manually created .gtkrc-2.0 file with this line, correctly stating my theme name.

Code:
    I use
    Code:
    include "/home/vasa1/.themes/MyGreybird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

gtk-icon-theme-name = "NoInherits"
    in my .gtkrc-2.0. Also, there should be a " at the end of your first line.

And I don't know if you need to escape the space between Numix and Bluish.

PS: I think you should escape every space with \ otherwise bash will think there are two items instead of one!

Ideally, avoid spaces in filenames. Who knows when such things will bite you.
    Last edited by vasa1; May 25th, 2014 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ouch, I completely missed the lacking quotation mark. Normally, directories wrapped in quotations are okay with spaces in folder names, but I still went ahead and removed the spaces in a local Home copy. Even with this typo corrected, I still get no results after logging back in.

Code:
    gtk-theme-name="NumixBluish"

include "/home/jonathan/.themes/NumixBluish/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

Beans

Code:
    #apply gtk2.0 theme
    export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
    Could you temporarily rename that .xinitrc file to something else in case it's interfering?

Code:
    I feel the first line isn't needed. Could you comment it out?
    I tried putting this into the terminal, in case the theme was not set for GTK2 apps, but this did nothing.

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme "Numix Bluish"
    Can you undo that?
    Lastly, I tried starting Skype with a specific GTK skin; also accomplished nothing. I tried it with an alternative theme as well, on the offchance it was Numix's fault.

Code:
    GTK2_RC_FILES="/usr/share/themes/Numix Bluish/gtk-2.0/gtkrc" skype
    This approach didn't work for me as well in Lubuntu 14.04. I don't know why. Although I stuck env at the beginning of that code (http://askubuntu.com/questions/8336/...theme-entirely).

Beans

Ouch, I completely missed the lacking quotation mark. Normally, directories wrapped in quotations are okay with spaces in folder names, but I still went ahead and removed the spaces in a local Home copy. Even with this typo corrected, I still get no results after logging back in.

Code:
    gtk-theme-name="NumixBluish"

include "/home/jonathan/.themes/NumixBluish/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
    Oops! I just read your response more carefully. You're right in that double quotes should protect you. But Numix Bluish would become Numix\ Bluish and not NumixBluish. The \ does the magic.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

I've reviewed that page as well, but a lot of those are for KDE users, and KDE's system settings manager doesn't play nice with Unity, according to reviews. KDE sure is sounding more appealing, however. I only had it once while trying out PCLinux2007, and I quite liked it, although customization felt a little challenging, so I stuck to Gnome2 on Ubuntu back then.

And I'll try uncommenting the theme name. I've also gotten rid of the .xinitrc file, since Ubuntu Unity pays attention to the .profile anyway. I don't think it even acknowledged the presence of .xinitrc.

Beans

... and I still can't get Skype, VLC, Pidgin, or any other QT dependent app to be consistent with my GTK theme. ...
    When you say consistent, just how differently do those apps look? Maybe a screenshot showing a few qt apps that aren't looking good with a gtk app that looks the way you want. I mean are there minor differences or huge ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast