Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi, but no internet - Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Re: Wi-Fi, but no internet - Ubuntu 14.04

How does it take 2 years for me to notice that a computer that I built has an ethernet port built into the motherboard? I don't know, but thank you chili, you truly are some sort of amazing wizard-guru thing. I will try to find an ethernet cable somewhere now and get back to you...

Beans

Joy at last! Connected via the ethernet cable, which runs right around the outside of my house - but it works nonetheless, so thank you! How do I get drivers now then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have drivers but we are going to try a later version. It may or may not help. You may safely copy and paste this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    You will probably get a later kernel version, also known as linux-image, requiring a reboot. After doing so, check dmesg for our famous warning. If it is not there, detach the ethernet and see if you connect with wireless. If so, we'll stop here.

I'll be here for a while, so I'll wait for your interim report.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    You may safely copy and paste this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    You will probably get a later kernel version, also known as linux-image, requiring a reboot.
    @chili555, sorry to interfere, but I believe the OP will need dist-upgrade rather than upgrade to get a newer kernel.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Got the drivers, but no luck - still showing that warning in dmesg. I think I've got the latest distro (14.04), but if not, how do I upgrade it? Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by louis9 View Post
    Got the drivers, but no luck - still showing that warning in dmesg. I think I've got the latest distro (14.04), but if not, how do I upgrade it? Cheers
    Did you proceed as my esteemed colleague coffeecat suggests, quite correctly?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    Was a reboot suggested?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I did do it. It didn't suggest a reboot, but I did anyway. I just ran that code, but it did nothing, saying "0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade"

Beans
    Distro

Let's try the easy way first:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git
    git clone https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver.git
    cd rtl8188ce-linux-driver
    make
    Answer 'y' for yes to the kernel question.
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Reboot.

I will be away for a few hours; I'll check in later.

Beans

Did that, but still getting the same message in dmesg. Sorry, this must be getting quite boring...

Beans

I just went to get some new graphics drivers and saw something saying (I assume referring to all types of drivers) that I had no proprietary drivers installed. Unless I'm mistaken or the NIC drivers you got me to install before were open source, it looks like the drivers didn't install properly. Any thoughts? Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast