Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to an SSH server running on a wireless connection.

Beans

Can't connect to an SSH server running on a wireless connection.

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem for hour and I've decided to ask for help. I have an SSH server running on my laptop but I can't connect to it from LAN or from the internet. I tested if it could be a router setting by putting a server on my desktop and everything worked fine. I've already checked my router for wireless isolation and it was turned off. I'm at a loss. Please help. Laptop > Desktop: Works Desktop > Desktop: Works Desktop > Laptop: Fails Laptop > Laptop: Fails
    Last edited by Broghan; May 23rd, 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't connect to an SSH server running on a wireless connection.

The way your describing it sounds as if you may be sshing to your laptop and it doesnt have openssh on there?

On the laptop try to ssh localhost, if the connection is refused then you need to install openssh on there
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I have OpenSSH on my laptop and I can connect to it. It's also not simply giving me a "connection refused message." It simply times out.

Beans

Just a thought. I had SSH difficulties until I added entries in the PUTTY setup of either the ip address or the computer name. If using the computer name I had to make the proper entries in the /etc/hosts file: e.g. "192.168.1.3 New1404Desktop". Once SSH knows the ip address it seems able to always find provided the computer is up and running. PUTTY has a series of config setup entries. I just used the ip address and the hosts entries. Simple and easy to use.

HTH

Ubuntu Ken in Sugar Creek

Beans

I appreciate your help but I don't think that's it. I copied all of the settings from my laptop on my desktop and I tried connecting the same way. It worked, but I'm not sure what's different. I've mad FTP servers without problems before. Of course, I have no idea if that means anything. Your idea is worth a try. Thanks.

Beans

Hi Broghan,

Nice to know you got it going. Yes, it would have been nice to know what made the difference. This networking business is at times maddening. But so, so nice when it works. Much success.

Beans

There's been a miscommunication here. Sorry for the confusion. My laptop is not working. I meant I had copied the files and put them on my desktop so they would both have the same setting and my desktop works. My laptop times out every time.

Beans

What I meant: Each computer has to be able to know the ip address of the computer you want to connect to. You can get the ip address by clicking on the Network icon in the tray bar then clicking on Connection Information. The ip address is under IPv4.
    Each computer must have a DIFFERENT address AFAIK. From the computer you wish to connect to the other computer you must be able to tell SSH what or where that other computer's ip address is. I use Putty from the Ubuntu Software Center as it is very easy to use. I use either of the ip address as in 192.168.1.11 or the /etc/hosts file content of the computer name and ip address so that SSH can lookup 'New1404Desktop' to get the ip address of 192.158.1.11 via the hosts file entry of '192.168.1.11 New1404Desktop'. Either way works fine provided the ip address and computer name are correct.

Can you ping laptop to laptop?

First try to ping the other computer (laptop to laptop or desktop to laptop). Get the ip address as indicated above and ping from one computer to the other. If you can't ping you can't connect. Your router or wireless adapters may be incompatible. If you can successfully ping then you should be able to put the proper address in Putty and then see the other computer. You then have to be able to enter the proper user name and then the password. This has worked for me.

HTH,

Beans

Pinging the computer was one of the first things I did when I had a problem with it. I can ping it successfully. I've also been using the IP address because I didn't want to go through the trouble of setting up the host file. All of my computers have their own IP addresses. I tried using the terminal on Linux and Putty on Windows. No luck. Example of the command I'm using: ssh 192.168.2.113

Beans

It may be a case of permissions. In one case I ran as best as I can recall: 'smbtree -d3 -vvv' to get debugging info. It was a case of the debugger catching the user/password missing. Not sure of the specifics as I just ran the command and after the password update all was well. Have you run 'net usershare info --long' ? Not sure what SSH will do if no shares exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast