Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition Released For SteamOS Linux

Beans

Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition Released For SteamOS Linux

Till the Steam Boxes come out we are going to have to accept that ports will be for most games.

I just hope that something big that Half Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 is given 3 or 6 months exclusive on the Steam Box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition Released For SteamOS Linux

Quote Originally Posted by LostInBKK View Post
    Till the Steam Boxes come out we are going to have to accept that ports will be for most games.

I just hope that something big that Half Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 is given 3 or 6 months exclusive on the Steam Box
    The best I'm hoping for is that Linux/SteamOS versions come out at the same time as the Windows versions. Yeah, it'd be great to see exclusive releases for Linux/SteamOS, but I'll just be satisfied to see simultaneous releases.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

If there is not exclusive software I can't see anyone buying one.

Software releasing at the same time is great for us Linux users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I downloaded it from Steam on the weekend for $20! And it is awesome! Runs smoothly!
    I'm running on High settings with Anti-Aliasing turned off, Large Textures on, and no depth of field (I like being able to see clearly everything on the scene and not be focused on just some part!).

Running 1080p on
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Catalyst 14.6
    R9-290X
    i7-2600
    16GB RAM
    RAID5 game library

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

The much-derided eON wrapper has been diligently worked on by Virtual Products, and what was crashing and running poorly is now running beautifully and crash-free (for myself at least).

It's really nice to see someone responsible for a game running on Linux to fix what wasn't working, in order to make customers happy. Painkiller:Hell and Damnation, a native port which worked fine on nVidia and wouldn't run at all on ATI was worked on by the developer, even contacting ATI on their fglrx driver until ATI owners could run the game.

There have been a lot of native ports which run flawlessly, and Linux gaming is progressing by leaps and bounds.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just tried out a new tweak to decrease stuttering on high settings...
    If you have a card with greater than a GB of VRAM, you can tweak the texture size buffer to load more textures into the card instead of streaming them in game. The game was developed at a time when a GB was the norm for high end cards.
    Go to ~/.local/share/cdprojektred/witcher2/GameDocuments/Witcher 2/config and open the user.ini after you have selected "high" settings from the graphics options. This will have the user.ini primed with the high configuration.
    Change TextureMemoryBudget to a larger value. I have mine at 2048 MB.

For more details read here from post 5 down... http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1918044

With my config I disabled V-sync and increased LOD distance to FAR using the Options GUI. Then I exited the game, opened the user.ini file then set the TextureMemoryBudget to 2048; saved then made the file read-only.
    It really works with my R9-290X.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; October 2nd, 2014 at 12:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12