Thread: 14.04 becomes completely unresponsive

Beans

14.04 becomes completely unresponsive

I'm running ubuntu on my external hard drive and today it has been freezing and wont get out of it. It might be related to a kernel (?) update I installed today. Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this?

Thank you.

Beans

Re: 14.04 becomes completely unresponsive

Quote Originally Posted by luis28 View Post
    I'm running ubuntu on my external hard drive and today it has been freezing and wont get out of it. It might be related to a kernel (?) update I installed today. Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this?

Thank you.
    Go into advance mode and boot into an older kernel and see what happens. You maybe correct but it may have been another update as well.

Beans

How do i get into advance mode?

Beans

What hardware are you running? Can you run lspci (that's LSPCI but all lowercase) and post the contents here?

What exactly happens when it becomes unresponsive? Does it do a hard lock where the mouse cursor doesn't move, etc? And if you're playing music, the music stops but continually repeats the last half second over and over?

Reason I ask is I ran into a bug on Intel Sandy Bridge systems with 3.8 and 3.9 kernel. It would go into hardlock just like what I described above. Since 3.10 it's been fixed, though... but I did see one user report that they were still having issues on a specific type of processor even with 14.04, which is what got me curious about your specific issue. The more info you can throw at us, the better!

Beans

Select Advance mode if you dual boot from the menu or press Esc to boot on other option well booting.

Beans

Ivy Bridge processor 3635qm. It's a Samsung Series 7 np700z5c-s02ub. I'll boot back into Ubuntu.
    I know that when it becomes unresponsive I can't do anything to it. I can't control the mouse, cursor. I haven't played music while it happens, so I couldn't tell you. I'm on it right now (without advanced mode) and it hasn't happened yet. Maybe booting back to Windows fixed it?

Output of lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 640M] (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (rev 24)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
    I plugged in a second monitor the problem occurs whether or not the second monitor is plugged in BUT when I noticed that the display froze I decided to disconnect the HDMI cable and after resetting the screen I got control of the computer again. This suggests that's it's just a superficial problem because the computer could be "snapped out of it", right?
    Last edited by luis28; May 20th, 2014 at 04:58 AM.