Thread: Video card driver question

Beans

Video card driver question

New to Ubuntu, so I apologize in advance if this is posted in the incorrect forum. Hardware/Software question: Been using OpenSuSE KDE for the longest time, just recently switched to Ubuntu. Promise I am not posing the question to find out which is a better desktop environment, for me this is a legitimate question. So 2 days ago I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, I liked the Unity DE but decided it would take me awhile to get used to it. So I downloaded Kubuntu (plasma 5 version) and installed that last night (overwriting the Ubuntu install).

When I installed Ubuntu, I was able to install the proprietary AMD/ATI drivers for my video card from Software Center and it worked great. When I tried to do the same with KDE (plasma 5 version), the search for the driver came back blank, leaving me with just the Radeon driver to use (which isn't a bad driver).

I will be installing Unity alongside of KDE (I have already researched how to do it) later today, when I do I will go into software center and install the fglrx driver again. My question is this:

The driver installation that is being done from Unity, will that also translate to KDE. In other words, is the driver desktop specific, or is it a system wide driver? So even if I installed 5 different DE's, because I have the fglrx driver already installed for Unity, it automatically is there for all DE's through the system itself?

I appreciate any and all help with this, and again let me apologize if I am posting under the wrong forum.

Beans

Re: Video card driver question

because I have the fglrx driver already installed for Unity, it automatically is there for all DE's through the system itself?
    Yes.

When I tried to do the same with KDE (plasma 5 version), the search for the driver came back blank
    Maybe you're hitting this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1316563

Beans

Re: Video card driver question

Thanks for the input Temüjin, much appreciated.