Thread: EFF Privacy Badger

Beans
    Hidden!

EFF Privacy Badger

I have been trying out the Electronic Frontier Foundation's browser add-on called Privacy Badger. "Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web. If an advertiser seems to be tracking you across multiple websites without your permission, Privacy Badger automatically blocks that advertiser from loading any more content in your browser. To the advertiser, it's like you suddenly disappeared."

It is a new project and not quit finished; however, I like what I am seeing so far. With the red, yellow, and green color code on the display even the paranoid people should understand what they should worry about or not.

What do you think if you have tried it.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: EFF Privacy Badger

Tried it and out of fun I have disabled every site which got mentioned and later tried youtube.com - was not working anymore is like surfing the web with lynx - I like it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    Tried it and out of fun I have disabled every site which got mentioned and later tried youtube.com - was not working anymore is like surfing the web with lynx - I like it.
    Why did you disable everything mentioned? Were you trying to see how much damage you could do?
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Distro

Why - simple out of curiosity I disabled all pages to reach a point where certain pages do not work anymore due to used "features" of each page. I like to tinker around and try to understand why certain pages (or technology in general) are not working due to my disabling and roll back each disabled site - like to find out how much you have to disable to leave not much data back. - HTH
    Last edited by Gyokuro; May 19th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Privacy Badger is an unfinished product although I like where the project has gone so far. I have been using it for several days. I run both Privacy Badger and AdBlock. I have seen one or both of them crash about once a day since I installed Privacy Badger. I suspect there may be a conflict when using them together. LOL

Edit: I was about to file a bug report; however, there are several AdBlock related bugs reported already. LOL
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; May 20th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Been using it for quite a while now on both Chromium and Firefox. No issue.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have also been using it for several days on 14.04 and AdBlock Plus. No problems so far.

Question: Anyone know if Privacy Badger does the same thing as EasyPrivacy or supplement it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Privacy Badger is an unfinished product although I like where the project has gone so far. I have been using it for several days. I run both Privacy Badger and AdBlock. I have seen one or both of them crash about once a day since I installed Privacy Badger. I suspect there may be a conflict when using them together. LOL

Edit: I was about to file a bug report; however, there are several AdBlock related bugs reported already. LOL
    Yep - can confirm this problem and at the moment adblock freezes firefox at the beginning of each new tab/window for at least a second. Known problem.