Got a shiny new Epson WF-7520 printer. Yay!
Some things will not print.
Will not print from PDF
Will print OK from Chrome
Will print OK from Libreoffice
Will print OK from Gedit
Will scan OK from simplescan
Test page from "System" -> "Administration" -> "Printers" prints OK
On the jobs that won't print (PDFs are the only ones I have run across so far) CUPS (localhost/631) reports stopped "Filter Failed".
So far my googling on this error has run me down several ratholes but not found the solution to it. So, yes, I have RTFM'd but perhaps did not grok it.
Here is what I have tried:
1. Downloaded these files and installed them:
2. Installed new printer via Cups and picked the Epson WF 7520 driver from the list provided. Tested a scan and it worked OK, printed a test page from the printer front panel menu. PDFs fail to print.
3. Deleted and reinstalled said printer using the list provided
4. Find a PPD file in /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201115w/ppds/Epson. Extract it (as root) to that folder. Copy it to /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201115w/cups/lib/filter. Sudo chmod 775 on both those files.
(Don't ask me why I thought of this, I was following a thread in which this worked for somebody. If these were dumb things to do, feel free to jeer or throw vegetables.)
5. Sudo chmod 775 /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201115w/cups/lib/filter/epson_inkjet_printer_filter which apparently worked for a guy in another thread on the subject.
6. Made sure I am in the right group (I always love being in the right group!)
7. I am having some trouble attaching /var/log/cups/error_log, I will try again in a comment or just copy the whole thing in there.Code:$ cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep SystemGroup SystemGroup lpadmin $ cat /etc/group | grep -i lawrence lpadmin:x:109:lawrence
8. as indicated in this bug report: I tried:
9. Delete and reinstall the printer in cups, choosing the above-mentioned PPD.Code:sudo chmod o+rx /var/spool/ sudo service cups restart
10. Dleete and reinstall the printer in cups, using the printer driver provided in the dropdown list.
Fun, new stuff added in an edit:
11. Plug in the printer to USB and install via cups as a local USB printer. No joy here.
12. Found this obscure line in /var/log/cups/error_log:
I [16/May/2014:13:08:22 -0500] Please move "SystemGroup lpadmin" on line 3 of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to the /etc/cups/cups-files.conf file; this will become an error in a future release.
Deleted this line from cupsd.conf and found it already appeared in cups-files.conf
Well, suggestions as to what to try next are appreciated.