Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: To serve man

hack
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

MS offering you up to the highest bidder as well.

Microsoft openly offered cloud data to support NSA PRISM programme

Last edited by QIII; May 16th, 2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Corrected misspelling of MS and snipped offensive language.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bradley Kuhn didn't even read the Mozilla blogpost he so passionately responded to. Mozilla is making DRM opt-in. The mere fact of choice causes this situation to be non-Orwellian by definition.

Call me a cynic, but Mozilla refusing to use DRM would not precipitate any change except Mozilla becoming irrelevant.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans

I can't see anything wrong if it is opt in and sandboxed. Right now people install pipelight to gain access to DRM material. I would rather that than people having to resort to dualboot to watch streaming videos. Besides, chances are Linux is probably unsupported seeing that the drm module is from Adobe.

I would of course rather see users boycotting services that use DRM and use other methods like torrents,---to really stick it to the MPAA mafia,-- but that is not going to happen and if Mozilla doesn't support this people would simply switch browser and tell their friends that Firefox is crap. For the same reason I think pipelight is a great thing, I don't really care for Netflix myself (the selection is crap) but I do care about bringing new people to Linux, it would be really lame if I have to answer every question about Linux accessing media with "no, it doesn't work on Linux" and follow by a sermon on "freedom" (as in "you are free to not use the service or dualboot")

Edited: regarding OP's link. The guy got to be a joker to think that iceweasel is a great thing. Many Debian users would want to easily replace it with real Firefox.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 16th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Beans

that article sounds like it was written by someone that doesn't actually understand what Mozilla is doing, or worse, does and is intentionally misleading the readers.
    Mozilla is going to include W3C EME, but they're including the closed source binary section in a manner such that you have to enable it to use it. and it isn't at the behest of the RIAA or MPAA, it's NetFlix who wants it included in the W3C specs so that they can offer it to more clients.

the key point to note here is that it's in the W3C specification, they are just finding a 'best of both worlds' way to adopt it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was having this very same discussion with a friend of mine today who was criticizing Mozilla for this decision as having "betrayed us".

My opinion on this issue Mozilla in particular, and others in general is:

1. Mozilla has to accept certain technological trends that get adopted by the industry or become an irrelevant browser.

2. We users are to blame for many of the developments:

• DRM spreading, do any users boycott applications or protest in masses? No.
    • Companies like facebook, whatsapp, skype, Google, MS, Apple, Dropbox etc going after your data, sharing your data, eavesdropping in you, do users boycott these applications and protest in masses? No.
    • NSA & global intelligence services/governments destroying the internet and our privacy, any protests by users in masses? No.

In an environment like this, why should proprietary companies care about us and out privacy and freedom? We don't complain no matter what they do. They having nothing to fear from us.

Same goes for governments and intelligence services.

The only thing one can deduce from our reactions to massive privacy and security violations is that they can do whatever they want and still go further with it.

We just want our shiny colourful things and we just want to be good little consumers.

EoR (end of rant)
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    I was having this very same discussion with a friend of mine today who was criticizing Mozilla for this decision as having "betrayed us".

My opinion on this issue Mozilla in particular, and others in general is:

1. Mozilla has to accept certain technological trends that get adopted by the industry or become an irrelevant browser.

2. We users are to blame for many of the developments:

• DRM spreading, do any users boycott applications or protest in masses? No.
    • Companies like facebook, whatsapp, skype, Google, MS, Apple, Dropbox etc going after your data, sharing your data, eavesdropping in you, do users boycott these applications and protest in masses? No.
    • NSA & global intelligence services/governments destroying the internet and our privacy, any protests by users in masses? No.

In an environment like this, why should proprietary companies care about us and out privacy and freedom? We don't complain no matter what they do. They having nothing to fear from us.

Same goes for governments and intelligence services.

The only thing one can deduce from our reactions to massive privacy and security violations is that they can do whatever they want and still go further with it.

We just want our shiny colourful things and we just want to be good little consumers.

EoR (end of rant)
    Excellent rant, you hit the nail on the head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Firefox adding DRM support

So I was reading about how Firefox is adding DRM support for EME, they are using the software from Adobe so does that mean Firefox will offer flash like Chrome does? Has anyone heard on how fast this is happening? Whats everyone's thought's as I see this bad for open standards but potentially good for bringing the same compatibility Windows and OS X users have.

http://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-hol...eo-in-firefox/
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans

Re: Firefox adding DRM support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast