Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for paid support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looking for paid support

I run Ubuntu in my business. I am a one-man shop, so if there is a computer problem outside my expertise, all productivity stops whilst I fix some obscure problem with a driver or something. Many times, I post these puzzling issues on these forums and obtain speedy answers.

But then comes a really knotty problem. I post on these forums, and the crickets start. Computer is dead, I am losing money and clients, crickets keep chirping while no answers are forthcoming. During this time I am wondering why I am not using Windows, where I could just call up the local A+ certified tech and he'd whisk out here in a geek van and I'd be working again. I'd happily write him a large check, we'd both smile and be on our way. Sure, it would suck to use Windows, but it sure would be better than listening to crickets.

Is there a company, service, or consultant of sufficient reputation that I can just contract with them for on-demand ubuntu troubleshooting and actually pay them? Sure, some random guy will likely respond here, and they'd better be able to show me a company, a website, and some satisfied Linux clients if I am to do any business with them. Cannonical seems to have services like this geared toward larger outfits and servers - selling consulting in 5-packs like a bulk buying club, not much for a struggling little guy.

Cue crickets in 3 ... 2 ... 1
    Thanks for your help.
    PS. As a matter of fact, I did RTFM. However, I didn't Grok TFM, which is why I am asking this dumb question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for paid support

@lile001, I'm pretty certain there will be local consulting firms specializing in Linux repair for you to contact, but that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Mean time while you search why don't you post your problem - you just may be able to solve it in <50 chirps
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans

These forums are staffed entirely by folks who volunteer their time for free,plus, this is a worldwide forum, meaning, the person who best understands your problem could be 23 hours away when you post, or even worse, not available at the forums for a while.

Of course paid service would be faster -- the repair tech is getting a financial incentive to respond to your problem and is most likely, in the same time zone as you.

Quite frankly, given that the success of your business depends on your ability to get fast, reliable Linux support on demand, you should have confirmed the availability of that BEFORE you decided to rely on Linux for your business. Volunteer staffed forums (Linux or Windows) are not a reliable source of on-demand support.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, let's review.

I posted this in absolute beginners, then some moderator moved it to chat, then someone else complained that I am in the wrong forum because chat isn't the place to ask these questions. This is rather puzzling. So be it, I don't know how to move it anywhere else, maybe some helpful person can move it where it belongs.

I've got a helpful suggestion to search on the web, which I did before posting and came up with not much except giant-sized enterprise solutions costing thousands. Not much available for the little guy. Figuring somewhere on ubuntu forums would already know, I post here (In absolute beginners, figuring this would be a very basic question). So the helpful response to google it is well received but not news.

Then I get another helpful post saying I shoulda known that Ubuntu has no support before using it for a business. Reading the hype on the Ubuntu main page, one can easily come away with the impression that there really is support for Ubuntu and many large organizations use it successfully. In fact, for the first few years I used it, I did find a lot of support and help, which is why, after trying it as a hobbyist in 2009, climbing the learning curve, and then starting my business in 2011, I put all the business computers on Ubuntu. My decision was in part based on the help and success I received in these forums.

Fast forward to 2014, and times have changed. Perhaps the helpful folks who were here in 2011 have tired out and gone? Or there are too many new users and the volunteers are swamped? I do get helpful suggestions here and at AskUbuntu about how to format my posts to make them prettier, but few substantive answers about the actual question posed. At any rate, I find less and less useful responses to the questions I post. As I climb the learning curve, the questions I have are harder to answer. Meanwhile my business has grown and I am busier, having less time to research obscure Linux settings. I could really use a paid geek right now.

If I have this dilemma, there are no doubt thousands in the same boat. One of the experts here could totally capitalize on such an opportunity. I have yet to find a pay-per-incident Ubuntu support company as one can find in any Staples or Office Depot for Windows. Convince me as a businessman that you, dear reader, are such a trustworthy expert and I could be your first customer.

Meanwhile, enjoy the crickets, they are still chirping. ....
    Last edited by lile001; May 16th, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
    Thanks for your help.
    PS. As a matter of fact, I did RTFM. However, I didn't Grok TFM, which is why I am asking this dumb question.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A simple google would have answered your question.

http://www.ubuntu.com/management

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A simple "Canonical provides subscription-based 24/7 support and you can read about it here ..." would have done the trick.

whatthefunk has the simple, straight-forward answer I think you should have gotten right off the bat (although the faint hint of "Google is your friend" could probably have been left out ).

Your thread was moved to this sub forum because it was not a technical question about the OS per se, which is what we moderators do to keep the Forums running smoothly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@lile001 - OK let's review some more

... so far I've read 2 posts from you with exactly 1 question about paid support. I suggested that you might post your technical question while searching else where for a paid answer.

I respectfully submit that you don't really want to have your problem solved here, but rather write on endlessly about chirping and not receiving productive results. Well no wonder - you haven't given any one of the talented volunteers anything technical to solve.

Why don't you post your problem and maybe one of us just might care to look into it .....
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lile001 View Post
    Meanwhile my business has grown and I am busier, having less time to research obscure Linux settings. I could really use a paid geek right now.
    So you have the answer already. Why not hire an in house geek to manage your systems since you are willing to pay? I am sure there are capable geeks looking for a job.

Beans

Look here where it states that there is singlle user support.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/23414...-individualsIt
    It also adds some Links where you can get the information you need about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast