Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 won't book on Toshiba Z930

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 won't book on Toshiba Z930

I don't have Intel SRT in BIOS, only Intel RST (Rapid Start Technology). And I didn't change these BIOS setting from when Ubuntu 12.04 was booting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Others with Toshiba's have worked but I do not know details of all UEFI settings, they may need to be different than for BIOS boot.

About the only other thing is to go back to BIOS boot. You can create a 1 or 2MB unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag anywhere on drive and use Boot-Repair to convert to BIOS boot.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

In the EFI partition, the /EFI/Boot directory which you have put a copy of shimx64.efi renamed to bootx64.efi should also contain a copy of the grubx64.efi (the signed copy). Then the shim should run grub, which should pick up the grub.cfg file from /EFI/ubuntu (or maybe these days from /EFI/grub ). Without secure boot on, the bootx64.efi file may just be a copy of the (unsigned) grubx64.efi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well, actually turned out to be a lot simpler. All it took was to change the Boot Mode to CSM in the Setup Menu -> Advanced -> System Configuration. Then run a clean install again.

System now booting normally, and pretty fast too.

Thanks anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12