Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to dual booting

Beans

New to dual booting

I have a Windows 8 desktop machine, and would like to dual boot into Ubuntu. I want that Ubuntu to be on a physically separate drive, I don't want any Windows files on it, and I don't want any Ubuntu files in any other hard drive. Is this possible? If so how can I do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New to dual booting

Yes it's possible here is a page that may be of help to you.

You should also read some material on dual booting with UEFI machines.

this is a good source
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.10 /xubuntu 15.10

Beans

So from the first link you provided that will automatically know to keep all Ubuntu files in the Ubuntu physical drive?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maazmahmood View Post
    So from the first link you provided that will automatically know to keep all Ubuntu files in the Ubuntu physical drive?
    Yes. Just make sure that the bootloader is being installed onto the drive where Ubuntu is being installed. The installer defaults to sda. So, if you are putting Ubuntu on to sdb look for the panel and use the drop-down menu to select sdb as the location of the bootloader.

This has a benefit. You can use the BIOS/UEFI to select which drive has boot priority. If you select the Windows drive then windows will boot. But if you give the Ubuntu drive boot priority then you will get a boot menu offering either Ubuntu or Windows. It also means that updating Windows will not in some way break the Ubuntu bootloader as sometimes happens.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

When installing with multiple drives, the safest approach is to have all drives but the target drive disconnected. That prevents accidentally installing the boot loader to the wrong drive.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Ok I had another idea I have this case (Link provided). and on top is a SATA connector, along with a sata power connector, so theoretically I could cable an Internal Hard drive. My question is that I could install Ubuntu on that then set that as highest priority and when I wanted to boot to Ubuntu I just plug that in, what do you guys think?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No need to change physical connections, except perhaps during install to make absolutely sure you do not have any parts of Ubuntu on Windows drive.

Ubuntu will let you boot Windows from grub menu if installed in the same boot mode UEFI or BIOS as Windows. UEFI & BIOS are not really compatible and once you start booting in one mode you cannot switch. Or from grub menu you cannot boot another install in different boot mode.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

These steps are clear however I'm curious as to why he created 2 partitions? Is that necessary?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/31278...in-a-dual-boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Default install is / (root) and swap.
    Many also like a separate /home or data partition(s). I have a shared NTFS data partition and Linux data partition.

If a full drive install / may be very large and it is a bit more efficient to have a smaller / of 20 or 25GB and additional partitions.

If two drives, you may want to backup Windows vital data to Ubuntu drive and would then need a NTFS partition. And you could backup Linux data to the Windows drive but it would be better to have a Linux formatted partition.
    Best not to write into Windows system partitions. You still need to have Windows 8 fast startup or always hibernation turned off if dual booting.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

He had a swap partition, if your installing on a laptop and want it to hibernate or suspend you most likely need a swap area. rule of thumb has always been create a swap 2x your installed ram.
    I also like to make a seperate partition for my /home directory. so it would look like this.
    / (root)
    /swap
    /home.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.10 /xubuntu 15.10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast