Thread: just downloaded ubuntu-12.04-32bit.iso file i have a win8 64bit how to dualboot??

Beans

Red face just downloaded ubuntu-12.04-32bit.iso file i have a win8 64bit how to dualboot??

i just downloaded "ubuntu 12.04 32bit .iso" and burned it on a pendrive, i already have a "windows 8.1 pro 64bit" i want to dualboot without any loss or after-install recovering

Beans

Re: just downloaded ubuntu-12.04-32bit.iso file i have a win8 64bit how to dualboot??

You can start the installation of Ubuntu and look if the installer asks you to install the Ubuntu next to Windows. This is shown at the part where you can choose the partitions. Until this point, nothing will happen to your Windows installation.
    But why don't you get the newest Ubuntu 14.04?

Beans

Re: just downloaded ubuntu-12.04-32bit.iso file i have a win8 64bit how to dualboot??

MY BAD is there any way to upgrade it to 14.04 from 12.04 ??

Beans

and also post some links on dualbooting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 without changing anything you will have to wait till canonical release 14.4.1 on july 24th. To upgrade earlier open a terminal with ctrl alt t and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    For dual booting when you boot ubuntu from your usb stick and click install you can shrink the size of your windows install but make sure you defragment you disk first and make sure you install grub when it ask's on the install ubuntu instructions.

Beans

You should not install Ubuntu 12.04 and try to update to version 14.04!
    If that already happened, maybe those links help you to get up-to-date: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaucyUpgrades and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TrustyUpgrades
    Get the newest Ubuntu here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is something missing here
    Having a PC with EFI firmware does not mean that you need to install Ubuntu in EFI mode. What is important is below:

• if the other systems (Windows Vista/7/8, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in EFI mode, then you must install Ubuntu in EFI mode too.
    To install Ubuntu in EFI mode:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

With Windows 8 64 bit on the machine it is bound to be installed in EFI mode. You need Ubuntu 64 bit. Just download and burn another ISO image. This time of 14.04 64 bit.

I also strongly advise not to tick "Install Third Party Software." That will install a proprietary video driver and if there is going to be a problem with the first re-boot after installing it will be because of the proprietary video driver.

After installation we can install the third party software through the Ubuntu software centre by searching for Ubuntu Restricted Extras. And we can experiment with proprietary video drivers by going to System Settings>software and Updates>Additional Drivers tab.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 14th, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530