Thread: Problem with server on Xubuntu and Kubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Problem with server on Xubuntu and Kubuntu

Check out this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2224000

I have something similar on a Xubuntu Trusty upgraded to 14.04 and then to Utopic and also on a fresh install of a Kubuntu Utopic daily image of 02 May. I get "connecting to security.ubuntu.com. Could not resolve gb.archive.ubuntu.com" and it does not mater if I disable security updates (which I could do in Xubuntu but not in Kubuntu) or change the server to Main server or another server in the UK or even US. The problem remains = cannot update/upgrade.

I do not get this in Ubuntu Utopic not even when it is on the devel repositories. In Ubuntu nslookup gb.archive.ubuntu.com gives

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: gb.archive.ubuntu.com
    Address: 91.189.88.153
    Address: 91.189.92.200
    Address: 91.189.92.201
    Address: 194.169.254.10

But in these two Utopic installs of Xubuntu and Kubuntu I get "Connection timed out: No servers could be resolved." And it does not matter what mirror I have in software sources.

EDIT: Just install Lubuntu Utopic from 5th May daily image. Installed updates at the same time and with an ethernet connection to the router. And Lubuntu Utopic has the same problem. Firefox will not load its start page or any of the pre-defined bookmarks or any web page. The Network Manager icon is missing. Edit network connections says I am connected by wired. But cannot find any useful way of making a wireless connection.

And Yes, the router is connected to the ISP as proved by posting this from Ubuntu Uptopic. I have never had this problem with any install of the flavours in previous development cycles.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 14th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Problem with server on Xubuntu and Kubuntu

Wow...

In the last 2 cycles we have only got small biscuits of breakage but this is like a rack of ribs ! lol

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just installed Ubuntu Utopic from daily image 5th May and the same problem. Network Manager is there and I am connected to the router by both ethernet and wireless but Firefox cannot make an Internet connection and the same "could not resolve gb.archive.ubuntu.com" error message. And yet the installation process updates from the archives. I have seen the router led flashing indicating stuff being downloaded.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I see a similar problem on all my installs, during installation the distro has zero problems connecting to the mirrors, but after the installation is complete, they suffer from the dnsmasq problem. Once I do the work around to get a working network connection, everything works the way it should. There was an initial problem with some of the Canadian archives, but changing to Main seems to have solved that problem too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro

zsynced utopic-desktop-amd64.iso (ubuntu) and got the same thing that Graham is talking about. The dnsmasq bug.

Beans
    Distro

Go this in updates:

Code:
    Get:102 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic/main dnsmasq-base i386 2.70-2 [270 kB]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Go this in updates:

Code:
    Get:102 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic/main dnsmasq-base i386 2.70-2 [270 kB]
    Got that here - really should uncomment the line I commented - see if it works or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Got that here - really should uncomment the line I commented - see if it works or not.
    I still get 100% usage for dnsdmasq and no connection at all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Is not this thread similar to - after update - blows out network?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast