Thread: Can't view files by type Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Question Can't view files by type Ubuntu 14.04

I just got a "new" used laptop - a thinkpad twist s230u with a core i3 processor. I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I've noticed that when I try to "view by type", the order of the files do not change. I've tried using the menu bar, and I've tried displaying the icons as a list then clicking the "Type" column. So far no luck.

I searched google and I've searched the forums here. So far, I can't find anything relating to this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution? Many thanks if anyone can help.

Beans

Re: Can't view files by type Ubuntu 14.04

I'm still looking for answers. Even if no else has a solution, if anyone has noticed the same problem, feel free to say so. Thanks.

Beans

Update: I have a new understanding of the way Ubuntu sorts files. By changing to the list view and unchecking everything except "type" I found that the the files are in fact being sorted by type... sort of. As many people on this forum are probably already aware, but somehow I had missed, Ubuntu puts files in general categories like "document" or "image" - not specific by file extension. Thus PNG, JPG, PSD, etc... are all grouped together, but intermingled.

It would be useful if it was possible to sort specifically by file extension, but I'm becoming less confident that there is a simple way to create that view within the file manager window.

Beans

Another Update: My apologies for making a lame thread that no one else needs, but on the off chance that someone else out there is only just discovering these things too, I'll post what I've learned.

MIME type sorts the way I need. It's not an option in the main menu - only by right clicking the column headings in list view and selecting MIME type. Learn something new everyday I guess! (I feel dumb!)

Beans

Oh, Here's a link to a thread I found that summed it up:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/17049...g-to-type-in-n

Beans

UPDATE: I found a way to make the file browser work exactly as I would expect. The answer is Nemo! It's available in the software repository as Files (Nemo). It's a fork of Nautilus used in Mint. So far it works BEAUTIFULLY! I am now following a guide on how to make it my default file browser. The link for that is here:
    http://www.fandigital.com/2013/01/se...er-ubuntu.html
    YAY! Truly SOLVED!

Beans

I don't usually post to say thanks when I read a thread, but your post sounded like you may need a pat on the back. Trust me, people read these threads, and they're very much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I read this thread and learned from it. You found subtleties I was not aware of.

Thank you!