Thread: Unity is for the Birds

Beans

Unity is for the Birds

Alright, before you Unity Fans get all up in arms about some Noob making a coment like this, I have been running Ubuntu since 8.04. I dual boot for some programs that just do not work well running in my Windows V.B. I have clung to my 10.04 since 2010. I keep hearing how great 13.10 and 14.04 are, So I upgraed to 13.10 only to find out the Gnome and Compiz and all the other things I have been using for 6 years doesn't work so well. And after I installed 13.10 and added Gnome then tried to get my compiz working properly, I find out it doesn't work in Gnome on 13.10. Unity should be made into another interface choice likem KDE or Gnome. I never have had any problems with programs working in either of them, so why through this Crappy Unity into my face and tell me I have to like it. What happened, Did Bill Gates buy Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity is for the Birds

Thread moved to Ubuntu,Linux and OS Chat
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Gnome you used in 10.04 was not a Canonical product. It was a product of the Gnome project, which ceased development of Gnome 2 at least three years ago. If you want to use the same interface, investigate the Mate project, which is a continuation of Gnome 2, with bug fixes and other changes to keep it working in 2014.

If you expect Unity to work as 10.04 worked, you will be frustrated. What you did in 10.04 you can do in Unity. You just may need to do it differently.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Maybe your equipment could also use a upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not the first complaint about Unity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RRMcMillan View Post
    Alright, before you Unity Fans get all up in arms about some Noob making a coment like this, I have been running Ubuntu since 8.04.
    Actually my impression is that "Noobs" tend to have less problems adapting to Unity than "old timers". It seems like almost all of the posts I've seen complaining about Unity start exactly like this one. There are valid reasons to value continuity over change, so it's fair enough that someone who has become proficient at doing things in one way doesn't like a new approach. What strikes me tho is the lack of any apparent appreciation of the concept that maybe, just maybe the people developing Unity aren't all idiots; that maybe, just maybe, there are also valid reasons for technology to evolve; that maybe, just maybe, there are a lot of people who like the newer way of doing things and don't conclude that it's "Crappy" because it's different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I love Unity...it's really just a dock, that's all...ask a mac user if they think their desktop is crappy...don't think you will find anyone who would say yeah...anyway, unity is attractive, efficient and easy to use...the best way to use it is to put your favorite and most used apps on it for quick 1 click access...and less used apps you can bring up with the search on top...

Frankly, i never really was in love with ubuntu's original desktop (and i have used ubuntu since 8.04!) in fact it drove me over to linux mint for a few years...was so glad to come back once unity became the desktop...
    I found 2 panels to be very space inefficient and never cared for that old fan out menu for the apps...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As an Ubuntu user since Warty, I'm tired of Unity hate threads. And I don't even use Unity.

Unity is forced down nobody's throat. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome. Ubuntu with some other DE installed. Ubuntu with a screaming light WM. Take your pick.

If you want Gnome 2 back, ask the developers why they killed it. That had nothing to do with Canonical or Ubuntu.

Closed.
    Last edited by QIII; May 12th, 2014 at 01:29 AM.