Thread: Lubuntu To Offer LTS Users Select App Updates Through New PPA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lubuntu To Offer LTS Users Select App Updates Through New PPA

Would be nice to have this for ubuntu too but i guess that will never happen...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Would be nice to have this for ubuntu too but i guess that will never happen...
    We do have the backports repo but people do seem to rely on a multitude of ppas to achieve the same in Ubuntu. Personally I don't bother with ppas much if at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, i prefer not to use a lot of ppas also...since they usually get knocked out if you use the upgrade path...in fact, the only one i have is for Google Chrome (since they add that on automatically)...
    Would be nice if the 6 month version of ubuntu became a kind of rolling style release...Mark has recently mentioned that when convergence takes place, they should consider replacing the 6 month version with one that has a stable core but gets new stuff (kernels, new apps, etc) when they are stable and ready for it...i guess kind of the way this new ppa for Lubuntu will work...except, you would not need a ppa for it, it would just come into software updater automatically

Beans

I use a lot of ppas anyway, not only to get up to date, but full functionality (e.g ffmpeg) Backport is useless, interesting things never gets backported (only stuffs like clamav). I use a lot of ppas and compile a bit, never have any problem that I could not get myself out of. The FUDS against ppas are pretty baseless IMO. If I were still on 12.04 instead of agonizing over why Libreoffice is still stucked at 3.x (despite all the "point releases") I would just add the LO ppa, problem solved.

I am wondering what 'selected apps' are involved, probably things that I would not use any way.

Edited: I would expect Canonical to at least update the default applications in their LTS point releases if nothing else, but that doesn't seem to be the case, but then I don't use most of the defaults.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 12th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Agreed. Backports could be used to a much greater degree even within an LTS.