Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu won't install alongside windows 7

Beans

Ubuntu won't install alongside windows 7

Ubuntu won't give me the option to install alongside a working windows install?
    Can anyone help me and give me some suggestions why it won't work.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu won't install alongside windows 7

Weird, maybe try using gparted and shrink the Windows partition. It should work but if not make room for Ubuntu manually then go through the install.
    We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
    - Linus Torvald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How many partitions do you have? Maybe check with Windows or GParted and post the screen shot here.
    UsingTheTerminal and PopularPages

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    How many partitions do you have? Maybe check with Windows or GParted and post the screen shot here.
    There are 3 partitions, one system health partition of 100mb, a windows partition which is 458gb and unallocated which is 451gb
    Quote Originally Posted by grier-devon View Post
    Weird, maybe try using gparted and shrink the Windows partition. It should work but if not make room for Ubuntu manually then go through the install.
    Thanks for the reply, I have already done this through windows disk management.

Thanks guys, and other suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You need to break that unallocated area into few more partitions by selecting ''something else'' while installing Ubuntu through Gpart which will appear automatically. (Not through Windows partition manager)

Those partitions are
    / = root made up of about 20 GB. This needs to be formatted into ext4.
    SWAP = In equal size as your RAM. This will be dealt by gparted automatically as soon as you make it and select SWAP.

That is minimum and you can add few more as you need, like;
    /home = anything above 30 GB (Would be good to keep it around 100 GB). This needs to be formatted in ext4 as well.
    Format rest into NTFS storage area by making it separate logical partition. I say NTFS because then you can access it from both windows and linux. Windows can't read ext4.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    You need to break that unallocated area into few more partitions by selecting ''something else'' while installing Ubuntu through Gpart which will appear automatically. (Not through Windows partition manager)

Those partitions are
    / = root made up of about 20 GB. This needs to be formatted into ext4.
    SWAP = In equal size as your RAM. This will be dealt by gparted automatically as soon as you make it and select SWAP.

That is minimum and you can add few more as you need, like;
    /home = anything above 30 GB (Would be good to keep it around 100 GB). This needs to be formatted in ext4 as well.
    Format rest into NTFS storage area by making it separate logical partition. I say NTFS because then you can access it from both windows and linux. Windows can't read ext4.
    Am I able to change the swap at a later date as I plan to upgrade to 16gb of ram from my current 8gb when it arrives in the post.
    I want to fix the underlying issue when the installer won't detect windows as well though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, you can change swap any time - see this tutorial for a howto.

I suspect your installer didn't offer you the option of installing alongside Windows because the rest of your hard drive was unpartitioned space. Try creating an ext4 root partition (along with all the others that LastDino suggested) while running Ubuntu from a live CD. Then try the installer again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Looking at your RAM amount, I'm curious. Is your system new? Is it UEFI or Legacy? Please check that before doing anything and which Windows is already installed anyway?

If it is UEFI, you need to do few more things.

Btw, with 16GB RAM, I might forget about making SWAP all together.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    Looking at your RAM amount, I'm curious. Is your system new? Is it UEFI or Legacy? Please check that before doing anything and which Windows is already installed anyway?

If it is UEFI, you need to do few more things.

Btw, with 16GB RAM, I might forget about making SWAP all together.
    My computer is 2 months old, pretty much brand new so I'm guessing it's not that legacy one. What do I have to do with the UEFI? I'll do some google searching on this.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blake8 View Post
    My computer is 2 months old, pretty much brand new so I'm guessing it's not that legacy one. What do I have to do with the UEFI? I'll do some google searching on this.
    Thanks again.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

You can start from reading there, this is just the start though. You can search this forum for similar topic, I'm sure there are dozens of threads addressing the very same thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast