Thread: KVM Switch (NOT Kernel-based Virtual Machine)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

KVM Switch (NOT Kernel-based Virtual Machine)

Has anyone tried using a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch, especially during server installation? I'm using an Iogear GCS62 (PS2, no USB) and once I switch to the installation machine the keyboard doesn't work so I can't even switch back to the other machine. I saw this thread which led me believe these switches may just not work with Linux, Ubuntu and/or console installation, except that my switch has no USB connectors, only PS2.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: KVM Switch (NOT Kernel-based Virtual Machine)

I've been using a Belkin OmniPort KVM for .... 10+ yrs. It works fine. It is PS2 as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It may just be hot-plugging that caused the problem. I reconnected the KVM switch and restarted both machines and it seems to be working for now. I tried so many things along the way I just can't be sure exactly what fixed it. Though I had both machines off when I first connected the switch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I cannot recall ever needing to reboot anything - the switch or a machine - to make anything work. In all these years, I've probably disconnected and reconnected 500+ times. I cannot recall the last time the KVM didn't have power ... it is on a UPS, so 5+ yrs since the last power cycle is probably accurate too.

I use a "y" connector - USB with 2 PS2 connections on each PC-side. I got tired of plugging into the wrong keyboard/mouse ports on the computers, so using USB on that side of the connection made things easier. Bought 6 of those cheap USB-PS2 converters. 2 different models - all work fine. A while ago, I did have to enable "legacy USB support" in the BIOS, but can't remember doing that on any recent machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could be it's just a too-cheap switch then. I'm not sure where it gets power but it has to be through either the PS2 or VGA connection. It's also hard to diagnose when I only get an hour at a time to diagnose, during which time I'm also trying to install a server on a possibly-defective HDD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mine has a power plug. Is that missing from yours?

It is an OmniCube 4-port model. Don't think they make them anymore. I had a 2-port model that didn't work with WindowsXP prior to that.
    I've been using KVMs for a L-O-N-G Time.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have an ATEN '1 work-place to 4 computers' KVM switch with VGA, keyboard PS2, mouse PS2 and audio connections. It has no separate power input, and it has worked for years without any problems.

It is possible to connect the PS2 plugs via an adapter to a USB port of a computer (that lacks PS2 ports).