Thread: nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card, jerky video

Beans

nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card, jerky video

Yikes! Your concept of an "Absolute Beginner" is in a different league from me, and I can't make head nor tail of the instructions posted to solve my problems. So perhaps you could direct me to some source where I can at least learn your language. And, at its most basic, how do even get to a command line prompt in Lubuntu 14.04?

I have an old HP Pavilion 7955 which had XP on it until I set about replacing it with Lubuntu, (chosen because it purportedly runs well on older machines.) According to the sticker on the front, it has a Pentium-4 processor at 1.5 GHz, 256 Mb of SDRAM (but when I run the memory test which was included in the installation download, it says that the L1 cache is 8K, L2 cache 256K, and memory is 767M - does this mean somebody added extra memory??) , 40GB Ultra DMA h/d, nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card with 32 Mb SDRAM. It was running extremely slowly, with jerky video under XP. In addition, the owner is inclined to surf questionable sites. I figured that putting Linux on might solve both speed and safety issues. It hasn't. If anything the video is even more jerky, (maybe one frame per second). My question now is whether the real problem is a hardware failure, or whether I need some additional programs or drivers to make Lubuntu play nice with the video card. And if the latter, I will need some guidance on exactly how one acquires and installs such programs. (Just point me to sources of instruction). (I grew up in the DOS era, and the prospect of command line interaction is not overly daunting to me, but I need a little guidance as to the actual commands and how things work in Linux.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Complete Newbie and jerky video

If it is 256MB then that might be your actual problem. No matter how light the OS itself is, modern day programs need more than that. You could try to install non-free drivers, but I don't think that's the real issue. Just go to Nvidia site and search for your appropriate version which are made for Linux to download.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: nVidia TNT2 M64 graphics card, jerky video

Sorry, but changing drivers won't make much difference. The graphics card is so weak (as is rest of the hardware) that one must expect a low performance.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems there is 767M RAM available (which probably means 768 MB installed), and it is enough for Lubuntu.

Open a terminal window with the hotkey combination ctrl + alt + t or from the menu.

Code:
    free -m
    will show the memory. The following command will show the current version

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    I think the problem is the nvidia graphics card. You can try to install a proprietary driver, which might or might not solve the problem with jerky video.

But it might also be the problem that flashplugin (for web video) is not well supported for linux by the owner of flash. You may never be able to play video well.

Which version of Lubuntu are you running? There are two supported versions, 13.10 and 14.04 LTS.

With some old hardware, more suitable drivers come with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life, but there are several re-spins, that are worth trying, if you have no luck with the current Lubuntu versions:

- Bento, Bodhi and LXLE with support until April 2017.

See this link about what to expect from old hardware

Old hardware brought back to life
    Last edited by sudodus; May 9th, 2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: You may never be able to play video well

Beans

Important to read the original post. As I can't access your original posting I can pnly c;arify.

Code:
     L1 cache is 8K, L2 cache 256K, and memory is 767M
    means that you have level 1 and level2 cache memory of 8 kilobytes and 256 kilobytes, respectively. You have available RAM of 767 megabytes. Probably your nominal RAM is 1 gigabyte, but what is actually available for use is 767 megabytes as posted by sudodus, above.

About the video card, make sure you have the latest drivers. I can say that video cards cause problems frequently. Search for old posts in this forum by "video card problems" or by the OEM name of your video card.

BuT, if XP ran reasonably well on this system, so should Lubuntu.

Persevere and you'll get there.

Regards,