Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN not working with Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Hidden!

VPN not working with Ubuntu 14.04

I have seen other threads regarding this problem, even one marked [SOLVED], but not a solution that works.

Since upgrading to 14.04 my VPN connections GUI no longer works. I have re-installed network-manager-gnome and network-manager-openvpn-gnome but if I try and open a VPN nothing happens.

Could someone offer a workaround for this problem, maybe a command line method of opening a VPN as this is a major issue for me. I have been using Ubuntu with OpenVPN since 10.04 without any problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VPN not working with Ubuntu 14.04

Over 100 views but no solution.

Until this is fixed I am using this workaround.

From the command line type:

sudo openvpn --config XXXX.ovpn

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

This is a serious situation with an upgrade to a LTS version breaking a much used service, ie the Gnome VPN application. This thread has had 145 views and there are lots of other unresolved threads describing the same problem which would indicate that many users are experiencing this but not finding an answer.

Very disappointing. Maybe after eight years of using Ubuntu it is now time for me to move to another distribution.

Beans

Hi!

For several weeks, network-manager and openVPN didn't work together. It seems the last update allows at least to configure the VPN manually through network-manager.
    Tell if you need help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for your reply.

How did you find out that this is a known problem? I have not been able to find out anything about it, in this forum or on the web, other than lots of people are looking for a solution to it.

To be honest I find it astonishing that an LTS release can break something so important but when users report it and ask for advice we are met with a wall of silence. It is as if by ignoring the issue it can be safely assumed not to exist.

Like I said, after over eight years of using Ubuntu I have never known this forum to be so unresponsive and the product seems to be going backwards in terms of development. Sadly, it is probably time for me to move to another distribution.

Beans
    Hidden!

Got posted twice.
    Last edited by stepheny; May 16th, 2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Got posted twice

Beans

Hi,
    The bug is tracked in launchpad, an example https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1294899. Another one http://askubuntu.com/questions/45049...4-installation.
    From what I understand, a solution is nearly ready.
    You are right, it's strange to see a LTS launched with so many regressions. I had troubles with Samba. My printer stopped working. Plus many other little troubles which I spent a lot of time to fix.
    Well, other distributions have their problems too. With Ubuntu, I always manage to find a solution. That's priceless.
    Don't lose faith!

Beans
    Hidden!

Bump

This is a serious situation with an upgrade to a LTS version breaking a much used service, ie the Gnome VPN application. This thread has had nearly 800 views and there are lots of other unresolved threads describing the same problem which would indicate that many users are experiencing this but not finding an answer.

When will it be fixed? Never?

Beans

I have just discovered I have the same problem. I've had problems with network manager since updating to 14.04 but this is the first time I've tried to connect via VPN which previously was very quick and easy.

Beans

Yes same problem still exist as of 27th November.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast