Thread: Nvidia HD display resolutions disappeared with upgrade to Trusty

Beans

Nvidia HD display resolutions disappeared with upgrade to Trusty

I have just upgraded one of my machines to Trusty and I am finding that all the higher display resolutions have disappeared. The machine has an Nvidia card (Asus EN210) connected by HDMI to a full-HD TV. Before the upgrade I had a full HD resolution picture. Now the highest resolution offered to me is 1024x768. I was using the proprietary driver and I have left it enabled after the upgrade. I am using UbuntuStudio and therefore the XFCE tool for selecting the video resolution. How can I get my full HD back again?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Nvidia HD display resolutions disappeared with upgrade to Trusty

That appears to be an ASUS
    EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD2(LP)

Suggest that you download drivers from ASUS, they are somewhat Linux/Ubuntu friendly.
    As well try rebooting and go into recovery before log in.

I had the same problem on a GT440 card.
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

Re: Nvidia HD display resolutions disappeared with upgrade to Trusty

Thanks for replying

There aren't any Linux drivers at the Asus site. Basically it is an Nvidia card and should work with normal Nvidia drivers.

I'm not sure what I would be supposed to do in recovery mode. There is no recovery mode option in the Grub menu so presumably I would need to edit a grub entry by hand to get into it.

One thing I've noticed is that the display is listed in the display settings as "default". As far as I remember, it used to be identified as a a Toshiba something or other.

What I think has happened is that the Nvidia module has not been built for the new kernel. At least I can't find any trace of it in /lib/modules. But I don't know how to force it to rebuild the module.