Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    1,665
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Regardless of size, installing from USB is a safer way provided the computer supports it.
    If it doesn't support boot from USB then use a PloP CD to boot and from its menu select USB (with the installer USB already connected). It's currently the only solution for standard installations in machines that don't have a DVD drive and can't boot from USB. Note: By "standard installation" I mean using a full installer media, not the minimal CD or server versions.
    Galiza Nao!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    173

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Then you are doing something wrong. Lubuntu (both standard and alternate) fits to a CD, X/Ubuntu don't.

    Regardless of size, installing from USB is a safer way provided the computer supports it.
    Thanks Morgaes,

    I cannot boot from a USB port. Do you (or anybody else) have any thoughts about which is superior, an upgrade or clean install? Or neither?

    Thanks,

    R.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Beans
    1,241
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Upgrading doesn't take a few hours if you do it directly from the iso installer, and if he only runs one version of lubuntu, then the installer should offer the option of upgrading in addition to just wiping and replacing...and that should only take about the time a clean install takes...well, perhaps a little longer since it has to bring over all your data, personal settings, and usually is able to bring over most of your installed apps...

    important to remember to turn off any ppas you have prior to beginning it (in the software souces)...then it should go very smoothly...i have used that method about 5x now and had excellent results...i think the longest the whole process took was maybe 35 minutes (and i have a LOT of data to bring over...lol)

    I never did it using the software updater but i'd imagine that way must take a lot longer since it has to keep going to the internet to get the stuff? where as the iso has it right on there already...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 11th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    173

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    If it doesn't support boot from USB then use a PloP CD to boot and from its menu select USB (with the installer USB already connected). It's currently the only solution for standard installations in machines that don't have a DVD drive and can't boot from USB. Note: By "standard installation" I mean using a full installer media, not the minimal CD or server versions.
    Thanks Vlad. Where do I get a PloP CD? Why is it so important to install using a USB port, rather than using a CD or DVD? I've always used a CD or DVD before without problems.

    Thanks,

    R.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    2,291

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Sounds like you need to upgrade your hardware.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Galiza
    Beans
    1,665
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    You can use a DVD if you can boot from one. Meaning... You need at least a DVD-ROM drive (reader only) if you can burn the media somewhere else. The USB method is faster and usually safer - you can make many mistakes burning optical media.

    A PloP "boot manager" CD can be used to boot from a USB flash memory for those old computers that can boot from a CD but not from an external drive.
    http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
    Just download the latest version. It's a ZIP file which contains an ISO inside. For the time being and for the aforementioned purpose all you need is the ISO. Create the bootable CD from that ISO - rewritable media is fine - just like you would with the Ubuntu's ISOs.
    Galiza Nao!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    10,398
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    I've always used a CD or DVD before without problems.
    Then just use the method again. Sorry for adding to the confusion.
    Please post back and tell how it proceeds.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    173

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Upgrading doesn't take a few hours if you do it directly from the iso installer, and if he only runs one version of lubuntu, then the installer should offer the option of upgrading in addition to just wiping and replacing...and that should only take about the time a clean install takes...well, perhaps a little longer since it has to bring over all your data, personal settings, and usually is able to bring over most of your installed apps...

    important to remember to turn off any ppas you have prior to beginning it (in the software souces)...then it should go very smoothly...i have used that method about 5x now and had excellent results...i think the longest the whole process took was maybe 35 minutes (and i have a LOT of data to bring over...lol)

    I never did it using the software updater but i'd imagine that way must take a lot longer since it has to keep going to the internet to get the stuff? where as the iso has it right on there already...
    Thanks to everybody, Craig, Morgaes, Monkeybrain, Vlad and others,

    Re: Upgrade vs Reinstall: QUESTION: From what Craig says above, it sounds like if I use the Lubuntu 14.04 LTS (or 14.04.1 LTS) iso it gives me the option to upgrade, is that correct? (Rather than forcing me to do a complete "clean install" (and then add back backed-up files, reinstall apps such as WINE, Libre Office, Pdf Shuffler, Kazam, Foxit Reader for Windows, maybe a JAVA plug-in, etc.)). I am presently dual-booting Lubuntu and Windows XP.

    Re: Media for installation: I can burn a CD, but not a DVD. But I can read DVDs. I can boot off a CD or DVD, but not a USB port. The method Vlad describes of burning a PloP "boot manager" CD that allows booting off a USB port sounds real interesting and possibly "safer." I think I may give that a try. Although having a Lubuntu 14.04 LTS CD or DVD for occasionally doing a live CD or DVD boot might be handy (I'd have to burn a DVD at the library though).

    Re: upgrading my hardware: As suggested by Monkeybrain, one of the great things about Lubuntu is that it can run on older hardware. My budget is kind of limited right now. And if I do a hardware upgrade in the future, I guess I could buy older, cheaper hardware (maybe refurbished) and just use the latest appropriate version of Ubuntu.

    ANY OTHER COMMENTS ANYBODY HAS WILL BE WELCOMED. I am close to marking this thread as "SOLVED," although I will probably wait until July (as suggested by Monkeybrain) to do the upgrade or reinstall.

    Thanks again,

    R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; May 12th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavk, sland
    Beans
    10,398
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    Upgrade is always a theoretical option, but in reality it often gives trouble.

    If you install Lubuntu 14.04 the good news is that you don't have to do it again before april 2017.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: When do I need to upgrade from Lubuntu 13.10 to 14.04 LTS?

    I just updated my old ThinkPad T61, I run Kali and Ubuntu on it. I upgraded it it in about 35 minutes. I spent most of the time drinking coffee.
    -- DM

    The most important thing to remember is .... Look! Bacon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •