Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celestia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Celestia

I've just installed Celestia using Synaptic (rather than the Software Centre) on 9.10 but it hasn't been added to the Applications list of programs. Is there a simple way of adding it to that list?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pcit View Post
    Does anyone have the big lag during the celestia?
    My cpu time got to 100% @@
    With Celestia, it is usually the system graphics drivers that are inadequate.
    Without good OpenGL support like nVidia graphics cards have, Celestia hogs the CPU and runs slowly. I am able to run it fine with the correct graphics driver and without 3D acceleration, it needs at least good DRI, I think. Without the proper graphics driver to do the OpenGL display function in hardware, Linux steps down to doing the displaying in software, making it hog the CPU and run slowly.

Tell us the graphics card you are using, maybe someone here will be able to help you find a good driver for that.

Regards,
    George Gesslein II

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm1 View Post
    I've just installed Celestia using Synaptic (rather than the Software Centre) on 9.10 but it hasn't been added to the Applications list of programs. Is there a simple way of adding it to that list?

Cheers.
    I did the same thing; I would suggest you also install the Celestia-Gnome front end.

Seems it now shows up under 'Education'. (Stellarium shows up under 'Science'.)

berk

Beans

I start up Celestia and it goes to Earth. If I push F1-F7 it moves. I can move with the mouse. I can move with the arrows. But, I don't have any menus. I read the documentation and one area says go to "File".... and I don't have File anywhere. All I have is a dot in the up left corner that brings up minimize, move to desktop, maximize, etc. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
    I did the same thing; I would suggest you also install the Celestia-Gnome front end.

Seems it now shows up under 'Education'. (Stellarium shows up under 'Science'.)

berk
    Thanks. I'll try that in the coming days but I'm ever wary of how the program seems to enjoy chewing up my comp (RAM?) with the amount of processing power it needs to run!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm1 View Post
    Thanks. I'll try that in the coming days but I'm ever wary of how the program seems to enjoy chewing up my comp (RAM?) with the amount of processing power it needs to run!
    Well, I'm running 9.10 with a 3GHz, (albeit dual core) CPU but only 768M of RAM.

Santa might get me to 2G one day but I haven't been a good-boy it seems, or something.

In any case, while I run Stellarium much more I find Celestia 1.5.1 (Gnome front end) runs great on this thing.

berk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman View Post
    Got to the Add/Remove... menu item in Applications. Search for celestia. Install and profit.
    I get:
    W: Tiedostoa http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...buntu1_all.deb ei voi noutaa
    404 Not Found

W: Tiedostoa http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...ntu1_amd64.deb ei voi noutaa
    404 Not Found

(Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123