Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting or correcting errors found in Ubuntu wiki

Beans

Thumbs up Reporting or correcting errors found in Ubuntu wiki

This is my first post from ubuntu Desktop operating system, in UbuntuForums.org, and I have to admit I have never felt this good before. Anyways, a few moments back I was readin an article in Ubuntu Wiki and I found a very tiny misspelling of the words, now it was nothing important, but I tried fixing it, thinking it was like correcting wikipedia.org articles, but I couldn't find any edit options, so I decided to ask for help over here. If I find any errors in ubuntu wiki where should I report them?

By the way the error was in this article:
    BasicSecurity
    and under the section Firewall:
    there is a sentence that goes like this:
    It if helps, think of it this way - currently....
    which obviously should have been
    If it helps .....
    Ctrl + F will find it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Reporting or correcting errors found in Ubuntu wiki

You posted in the Community Wiki Discussions sub-forum which is really for discussion about the content of wiki pages – one thread per page – rather than for help on editing wiki pages, so I've moved this to the Cafe.

First – welcome to the forum and to Ubuntu.

Second. You should be able to log into the wiki yourself and make necessary edits. You can log in using your Ubuntu One SSO – the same SSO account that you used for logging into the forum. Click on the Login link and see where that takes you. After logging in and clicking on the Edit button, tick the trivial change box for such a small edit. Once you have experience with Ubuntu and if you want to be more ambitious with other pages, there are help links at the bottom of the edit page.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thank you for such a fast and complete reply coffeecat. I tried logging out, and logging into my account on ubuntu wiki, but still I do not see any edit buttons anywhere on any pages. Maybe that is because I have only just begun my account yesterday? Where is it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by abraham5 View Post
    Thank you for such a fast and complete reply coffeecat. I tried logging out, and logging into my account on ubuntu wiki, but still I do not see any edit buttons anywhere on any pages. Maybe that is because I have only just begun my account yesterday? Where is it?
    Hi abraham5, let me also welcome you to the forums and to Ubuntu.
    Wiki-editing is very easy because it's just some form of markdown where that markdown gets translated into what you see on the page. This page has all the information.

Where's what you have to do:
    First access the wiki you intend to edit a login with your SSO account:
    Attachment 252982
    You'll be redirected to the login page:
    Attachment 252983
    Confirm your personal data and press the "Yes, log me in" button and you'll find the Edit link in the top left corner of the page:
    Attachment 252984

Beans

WOW, this is actually some commercial level help and support, at least it looks that way to me, and thank you so much for welcoming me to the community you guys, that makes me feel even warmer inside.

Well, two things:
    First, the article that I want to edit is not on CommunityHelpWiki, it is on Ubuntu Wiki, now I have already noticed that they are both from Ubuntu and actually related.

Second, on both of these wikis, instead of getting an "Edit" option I get an "Immutable Page" Option, Which I myself guess that might be due to my newness, and the fact that I just signed up a few days ago, and to prevent spam and unwanted edits, this actually happens this way, or maybe it is because of the fact that I am from Iran, whatever the reason, I can't get an "Edit" option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There were some comments posted a few weeks ago that some people were having difficulty logging into the wiki, but I can't remember the details and whether or not this has been fixed. If you are seeing "immutable" then you are probably not logged in. I don't know whether or not there are safeguards in place to prevent new account holders editing the wikis. Try logging in a few times and perhaps someone else may remember the details about the logging in problems that were happening.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I tried the logging out and logging in again suggestion for several times now, but to no good end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I tried the logging out and logging in again suggestion for several times now, but to no good end.
    After logging in and upon landing in the page you want to edit, if it still presents you with Immutable Page, try to refresh the page.

Beans

Well, I hit F5, Ctrl+F5, the refresh button of the browser, but I am still not able to edit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I hit F5, Ctrl+F5, the refresh button of the browser, but I am still not able to edit.
    abraham5, do you have an active Launchpad account?

Here's the reason why I'm asking you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...e/Registration and http://open.knome.fi/2014/02/23/logg...th-ubuntu-one/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast