Thread: hplip hp-toolbox Actions Scan: Hidden scan window menu under Unity

Beans

hplip hp-toolbox Actions Scan: Hidden scan window menu under Unity

Hi alltogether,

I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and I remarked the following annoyance when using the HP Device Manager (hp-toolbox, Version 3.14.3): When I call its Scan window under Unity, I don't know how to access the menu. The main window of the HP Device Manager shows a menu bar (Device View Configure Help), but the "Simple-Scan"-window does not, so I cannot access among others the Scan Settings menu.

To access the Settings menu, I have to call the HP Device Manger under LXDE instead of Unity; then a menu bar is shown. That means if I want to see or to change scanning settings, I have to log out from Unity, to change the Desktop Environment to LXDE, log in again and then call the hp-toolbox.

I tried "unity --reset" from the Terminal, which results in "ERROR: the reset option is now deprecated".

Apart from that, Unity is my favoured Desktop, but is there a way to display the hidden scan menu?

Best regards

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: hplip hp-toolbox Actions Scan: Hidden scan window menu under Unity

I haven't used the scanning tool from the hplip GUI. I always use Simple Scan, which comes with 14.04 and works great with my HP printer.

It's not the solution you're seeking, but you might give Simple Scan a try. Just tap the Super key and type "scan" in there. It will find it for you.

Beans

Thank you for your fast reply linux4me,

this is strange: When I open the hp-toolbox scan window, it calls what you proposed me to use: simple scan (ps aux => /usr/bin/simple-scan hpaio:/usb/Deskjet...) regardless whether under Unity or LXDE. I didn't know this; I thought the scanning tool belongs to hplip, but it doesn't. But under LXDE, simple scan shows a menu bar (Document Page Help). Under Unity, this menu is not visible. Really strange.

I suppose you see a menu bar in your simple scan-window, and so you can access the Preferences menu? Do you use Unity?

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I do use Unity in 14.04.

I have to put my cursor over the Simple Scan title bar in order to see the menus because in Settings -> Appearance -> Behavior I have "in the window's title bar" selected in the Show the menus for a window section. The menus only appear when I put the cursor over the title bar. You might check your selection there to see what you have set.

Beans

Thank you again linux4me,

at first it didn't work as you described, so I guessed that some piece of software was missing. After some googling I installed the package "indicator-appmenu" which was not present by some reason, and now it works as you described. Thank you!

And now, I would like mark this thread as SOLVED, but I don't find any possibility to do that. I cannot find the "Thread tools"-menu which is being mentioned in another place in this forum. Maybe tomorrow...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jc-junghans View Post
    And now, I would like mark this thread as SOLVED, but I don't find any possibility to do that. I cannot find the "Thread tools"-menu which is being mentioned in another place in this forum. Maybe tomorrow...
    I'm glad you got it working.

For me, the Thread Tools menu is in a gray bar on the right side of the page below the header, breakcrumbs, and thread title. I have Thread Tools, Search Thread, and Display.