Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Google Chrome?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Google Chrome?

As I understand it Chrome is not open source and that is why it is not in the Software Centre. Chrome will never be the default browser in Ubuntu because it is not open source. One day Chromium may be the default browser. It is a subject for debate but why create arguments. What I find tiresome is the repeated demands for personal preferences to be made the default.

I will vote against Chrome being made the default simply because I like to say no to people who demand that I accept their personal preferences.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As I understand it Chrome is not open source and that is why it is not in the Software Centre. Chrome will never be the default browser in Ubuntu because it is not open source. One day Chromium may be the default browser. It is a subject for debate but why create arguments. What I find tiresome is the repeated demands for personal preferences to be made the default.

I will vote against Chrome being made the default simply because I like to say no to people who demand that I accept their personal preferences.
    I think this is less about making chrome the default browser, which at this point in time isn't going to happen. And more about the ability to make it the default for the user.
    Which to me, is strange, given that chrome always pesters me about wanting to be the default browser for my system.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    ...., given that chrome always pesters me about wanting to be the default browser for my system.
    IMO, setting the "default browser" isn't as simple as it seems.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    IMO, setting the "default browser" isn't as simple as it seems.
    Probably depends on the system.
    Unity makes it a breeze.
    System settings > details > default applications > web > pick your poison> profit.

I'm clueless on how xfce/xubuntu does it.

All I do know is that every time I have installed chrome, it opens a small pop up window asking to make it the default browser.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I can see how you can read it that way; I didn't mean to touch any sore spots. I'll mark this as solved and go look for the Xubuntu Roadmap.

Beans

But it doesn't stay designated as the default. In the settings, it frequently (but not always) says that it can't make Chrome the default or that it can't determine the default browser. I seem to have upset a number of admin-type people, so I'll shuffle back into lurking mode and check out the Xubuntu Roadmap.

Beans

Didn't realize it wasn't open source. That explains a lot, although I don't remember demanding anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Seeing as this has become a discussion thread, some times it is hard to tell the tone of a post, by the way it was written. You may not have thought your post was not demanding, but it did come across that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

@Elfy: that seems to be his complaint...it's not that he CAN'T download the deb file from Google Chrome's website and install it but that Xubuntu doesn't have it to the software center...
    Chromium is open source...Chrome is not...has a license agreement...but then again, so does MS Core Fonts which you do get in Ubuntu Restricted Extras...so i guess they could if they wanted to but for some reason, they don't want to

By the way, once installed, Chrome can be set (in chrome settings) as your default browser much the same way as you can on firefox...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 7th, 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

The OP needs to do what I suggested. That should be in post #1 not post #7 - hence the thread ended up in here when people read the first post and answered it.

I'm closing this now that it's obviously a support issue.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...11&postcount=1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12