Thread: Can I search for files and file contents with GUI

Beans

Can I search for files and file contents with GUI

Hi I have question Can I search text contents in files with ubuntu file manager
    e.g. ms windows can search within files contents, I can find some word in office files, can I do something like that in ubuntu?
    thnx and sorry for my English

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can I search for files and file contents with GUI

recoll - the most amazing search engine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    recoll - the most amazing search engine.
    I'll further that question, is it possible to search in files other than office documents, lets say ''.sh''?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

recoll if a GUI is required. It has very powerful indexing and near-instance search results. Think of this locate for file contents. Of course, the index can get large.

If you want quick searches without an index ... er ... can't really help, but find and locate are the CLI tools for all that assuming you can put together a 1-liner with egrep/grep/whatever search you like. There must be 1B examples of find + grep on the internet. Checkout command-line-fu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

recoll if a GUI is required. It has very powerful indexing and near-instance search results. Think of this locate for file contents. Of course, the index can get large.

If you want quick searches without an index ... er ... can't really help, but find and locate are the CLI tools for all that assuming you can put together a 1-liner with egrep/grep/whatever search you like. There must be 1B examples of find + grep on the internet. Checkout command-line-fu.
    Oh, nice suggestion & share, thanks!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Been on the lookout for an apt like this and its QT.

Nice Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To efficiently search the contents of files, rather than just file names, the contents must be previously indexed. Recoll is that kind of tool. It needs to make an initial index, and then the user needs to set up some kind of periodic index updating procedure.

To adjust the appearance of a QT-based app like Recoll in Ubuntu, install and use qt4-config. Try different settings and restart Recoll to see if you like how things look. I'm OK with the GTK+ setting.

Beans

i think you can do this you can do evrythings whit ubuntu thats the dark side

Beans

Thank you all for replying
    I installed recoll and it's very good tool, also I try tracker indexing with desktop search application, but is there some way to integrate those search tools in nautilus file manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I think the new GNOME Documents does content search.