Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curiosity of why 10.04 will work and not 14.04 on a certain hardware

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Curiosity of why 10.04 will work and not 14.04 on a certain hardware

There is probably some hardware driver, that lost the compatibility with your hardware when it was modified to work with newer hardware.

In such cases, you might have better luck with some other linux distro. Particularly because your computer is fairly new, you could have better luck with another distro. The first alternative I would try is Knoppix, which is known to be good at recognizing hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thanks for the Knoppix tip but that will not do. I need Ubuntu itself to work as I need another large series of other associated programs to run with it. Is there no was we can get Ubuntu to reinclude the drivers for that mainoard for the october 14.10 release?

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, it is important to run Ubuntu. Then I suggest that you explore the method with boot options. Try with both 12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Try all the suggested boot options suggest at F6, but also some other boot options that you find at the end of the link above or at this link

Kernel Parameters - An exhaustive list of kernel boot parameters from kernel.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Those versions don't work. I only got 10.04 to work. Tried for weeks a lot of options. I also inserted once a hard drive with ubuntu 14.04 already installed on it. That didn't work. A driver must be missing or not working with the main board but I don't know how to fix that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AfrikaDietmar View Post
    Thanks for the Knoppix tip but that will not do. I need Ubuntu itself to work as I need another large series of other associated programs to run with it. Is there no was we can get Ubuntu to reinclude the drivers for that mainoard for the october 14.10 release?
    The developers seldom read threads at the Ubuntu Forums. You can reach them via IRC or via bug reports at Launchpad.

Those versions don't work. I only got 10.04 to work. Tried for weeks a lot of options. I also inserted once a hard drive with ubuntu 14.04 already installed on it. That didn't work. A driver must be missing or not working with the main board but I don't know how to fix that.
    That is too bad. What programs do you need? If you list them, we might be able to suggest how you can try running them in another linux distro or try some alternative program.

There is also another option:

- Make a dual boot system with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and a current linux distro that works in your computer (Knoppix?)

. Use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for the Ubuntu specific programs that you need, but do not connect to the internet, or at least be very careful, because some of the program packages (the desktop ones) are no longer supported. The basic Ubuntu packages in common with Ubuntu Server are supported until April 2015.

. Use the current linux distro when you want to connect to the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Knoppix is a good recommendation. Try it. If it recognizes your hardware and boots then 'other' distros may work as well.
    Keep this Knoppix 'cheat sheet' handy. And try the options in case knoppix doesn't boot.

AFAIK there is no 'ubuntu specific' software out there. If you can boot and install any other latest OS, then why not?

For the life of me I couldn't install Ubuntu 11.04 on my same desktop which has had Ubuntu 9.10 to 14.04. So it could be just one of those things.
    Have you tried updating BIOS?... BIOS updates solve many harware issues. Check the Mobo website for newer versions of BIOS...
    Can you look in the BIOS and tell us what mode is SATA set to? It should be AHCI.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12