Thread: Ubuntu restricted extras

Beans

Ubuntu restricted extras

I don't know if this means anything, But ... When I first installed the new release 14.04 on April 17th I had nothing but problems with one application after anther crashing, wouldn't wake from suspend, shut down problems, video player crashing, sound problems and so on, so after a week I did another clean install and quite quickly I experienced the same problems so again I have done another clean install and this time it works great, no system internal error messages and nothing has crashed yet. When I did the first two installs one of the things I did was go to the Software Center and install Ubuntu restricted extras and both times the Software Center would become unresponsive and I would have to force close it, I would reopen it and it would resume installing. This last clean install I did not install the restricted extras and everything has been fine ...so far. I did install Java 8, Flash, mscorefonts, etc. separately through terminal. I don't know if not installing the restricted extras was the solution for my woes, but it's worth considering. I have seen other posts with similar experiences with the Restricted extras. Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu restricted extras

What I've seen and read about installing the restricted-extras package from the software center is that the EULA for the corefonts(whatever) opens a separate window, and that sometimes that window actually opens below(ie, behind) the software center window.
    So the installer seems to hang forever, when in fact it is actually waiting for you to agree, or disagree to the EULA.

Whether this is what happens to you, I don't know. But it is something that happens.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Also makes me wonder whats going on with the software center. Have you tried synaptic?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/synaptic/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not certain if installing restricted extras after install is the same as checking the boxes during install. I checked those 2 boxes and don't have any problems with either of my two installs
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My input;

Checking the box during installation installs the ubuntu-restricted-addons package not ubuntu-restricted-extras (extras has 4 more packages in it).

So I have been told, and
    so I believe
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !