Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's so great about this Ubuntu thing..

Beans

What's so great about this Ubuntu thing..

Hi guys

First and foremost excuse my grammar! I have <snip> grammar I know.

Just rambling here. I been a long time linux follower for a while like since 2001-2002 when I graduated high school. Anyway, time flies and now ubuntu is at a "mature" unity release of 14.04 although I read that the true direction of unity hasn't come out yet in the form of Unity 8? (Did they really have to name it that) I tried Mint, fedora, opensuse, etc.

I always dabbled in linux just cause it seemed interesting and I had to use it legit in college when we were programming and compiling code. Since then I always went back to windows.

The hardware incompatibility and random crashes just drove me insane. I learned through the years that it's either the hardware driver issues or one of the programs of linux that causes this crash. I never reported anything so this time around I am determined to give it a real shot. I am going to use this thread of mine and document most things just to keep a record. I was going to ramble more but I'm going to cut to my point.

People always post things such as "OH YEAH I AM A HAPPY CONVERT NOW I LOVE IT LINUX IS SO SOLID VS WINDOWS"
    I seriously want to support and love linux, but I always went back to windows because although it's extremely boring and tamed, it does work. Especially using adobe products/pc games. I am willing to cut out adobe programs and even my pc gaming (bad habit) and give this linux thing a full time gig on my desktop. I am not complaining, but watch issues will arise that will make it unusable.

People always just report the end result instead of describing what they do exactly. I will tell you what I do and it's not very much to be honest. Some things will break...(prove me wrong ubuntu!)

1) First annoyance already since my brand new install yesterday. I kid you not after I installed and rebooted, 5 minutes into messing around with the system the lettering/graphics started blurring up. From what I can tell from my IT background it has to do with the graphics driver. I quickly launched additional hardware in ubuntu and found a Nvidia option so I selected that.

Tonight will be the first true test as I will do most of my tasks and set things up.

Here is the basics I will do tonight.

Music syncing/importing (like iTunes) I have 250GB of music to scan
    Downloading torrents
    Web browsing and streaming (I'll use firefox and chromium)
    IRC
    Photo Importing (like picasa) I have about 400GB of photos
    --
    Set up mysql/apache to run a local copy of Magento eCommerce

From my past 10 yrs of experience out of the above listed things, I will run into some kind of crash or error probably 30-40% of the time.
    We will see tonight.
    Last edited by lisati; May 7th, 2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Please be careful to avoid using profanity.

Beans

Re: What's so great about this Ubuntu thing..

Oh yeah so my point was to actually inspire myself to use linux through everyone and their stories. Tell me exactly what you do on your desktop maybe even show me a screen shot. Let me get excited about ubuntu/linux.

I understand that whatever linux can do windows 7 can probably do too, but like I said I rather use linux and support it as it's more interesting and the concept of open source is far superior then what Microsoft is about.

Beans

Well, maybe migrating from being a Windows power user to a Linux distro could be equivalent to an NFL Hall Of Fame quarterback deciding he would be outstanding at soccer.

The grass pitch looks the same, there's a stadium with people in...

... but the rules are completely different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dear doublem99 '

I find your post most interesting! A few days ago I was using the Software center to remove some old apps. I think that at the very time that Ubuntu 13.4 was removing, Google sent me a new nag-box about themselves, with you-must-answer questions. Plus, I was using the CLI in the terminal window. My SYS crashed. Maybe 13.4 doesn't like that much multi-tasking? Anyway, I had to re-install twice B 4 my notebook worked right. So I do understand about your WIN vs Ubuntu troubles. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for 14.3 -6 -9- 15?-non-beta Ubuntu to arrive...Remember the Win 95 days? "It's coming. It's really coming...we PROmise?"

Beans

The core of my purpose as a computer user is the exact same thing. Picture importing? It's crashed on me. Music Importing? Same thing.
    Overall system tinkering, crashed as well.

I understand it probably has to do with the program and not the linux kernel. Going to give it "another" shot but with the forum here this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Make that Mi. Jordan...baseball player. ; )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derida View Post
    Dear doublem99 '

I find your post most interesting! A few days ago I was using the Software center to remove some old apps. I think that at the very time that Ubuntu 13.4 was removing, Google sent me a new nag-box about themselves, with you-must-answer questions. Plus, I was using the CLI in the terminal window. My SYS crashed. Maybe 13.4 doesn't like that much multi-tasking? Anyway, I had to re-install twice B 4 my notebook worked right. So I do understand about your WIN vs Ubuntu troubles. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for 14.3 -6 -9- 15?-non-beta Ubuntu to arrive...Remember the Win 95 days? "It's coming. It's really coming...we PROmise?"

DERIDA, people like you are most welcome to post in my thread. I honestly believe there are so many of us that go through these little errors here and there while loving linux and wanting to NOT give up. However doesn't change the fact it's 2014 and are we really going through the basic troubleshooting still? I could be wrong hence I reinstalled last night and posting on this forum. Maybe things WILL go 100%^ smoothly tonight? We will see.

Beans

I just saw a thread called "I'm Leaving", it was an interesting read. Seemed kind of negative. For the record ADMINS I am not aiming for any negativity in my thread. Simply documenting some of my findings in my quest to be a happy ubuntu user!

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by doublem99 View Post
    The core of my purpose as a computer user is the exact same thing. Picture importing? It's crashed on me. Music Importing? Same thing.
    Overall system tinkering, crashed as well.

I understand it probably has to do with the program and not the linux kernel. Going to give it "another" shot but with the forum here this time.
    That's basic stuffs you are talking about, I mean importing pictures and musics, torrent download and so on Ubuntu can handle without any problem. Ubuntu 14.04 is pretty stable as an LTS and so far the reviews I've read are positive. You could try another desktop environment instead of Unity, in flavors with KDE or Gnome or go for something lightweight such as XFCE. You have plenty of choice in the Buntu family.

In any case, Ubuntu is not the only Linux distro out there, if you don't like your experience don't just give up on Linux yet. There are some good OS such as Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE and many others. We each have our preference at the end of the day but The Buntu family I am fond of, for it's support and Ubuntu is in my view a very nice and user-friendly OS.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; May 7th, 2014 at 01:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast