Thread: Ubuntu 14.04: Can we make the Dash fade away or shrink?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 14.04: Can we make the Dash fade away or shrink?

Hi,

I just installed the latest LTS release of Ubuntu in a friend laptop. But here's the issue: He has a 15'' screen and the Unity Dash takes quite a chunk of the screen! Combined with the upperbar he doesn't have a lot of screen space left for web browsing.

My question is: Can me make the dash fade away while we open a browser window? I know that Cairo-dock (which I use on Xubuntu) does that, it disappears when the firefox window is open and appear only when the mouse pointer gets on it. Can we make the dash behave like that? My friend likes the dash and he doesn't want to get rid of it but he wants to save some screen space on the internet.

If not fading, perhaps it could be shrink?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 14.04: Can we make the Dash fade away or shrink?

You mean the launcher, not the dash. The dash is the overlay that appears when you click the Ubuntu logo in the launcher. You can set it to autohide in the Appearance settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you mean the Launcher? The Dash is hidden until we activate it by clicking the Ubuntu icon at the top of the Launcher or by tapping the Super key and the Dash will hide when we tap Esc.

The Launcher, on the other hand, can be set to Autohide and we can reduce the size of the Launcher and its icons. In Ubuntu 14.04 go to System Settings>Appearance and in the Look tab we can change the size of the Launcher and in the Behaviour tab we can set the Launcher to Autohide.

If this is not what you want, then all I can say is that I do not understand what you are talking about.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I meant the Launcher sorry for the confusion!

Autohide works, thank you guys!