Thread: Installing ubuntu on a acer one netbook

Beans

Installing ubuntu on a acer one netbook

I got windows xp on my acer and dont have a dvd drive. Im want to install Ubuntu on the Hard drive to replace the original OS but where do i begin? And which one do i use would like to google chrome.

Beans

Re: Installing ubuntu on a acer one netbook

down load the os of your choice. most suggest one of the lighter ones like lubuntu. I run Mint 13 on my hp minis and asus eeepc 1005's. use unetbootin to install the iso to a usb drive and install from that to your hard drive.
    or pick up a usb dvd drive. I just got one on ebay for about 15.00 free shipping.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indeed most here do suggest Lubuntu right away for everything from netbooks like the Aspire One to other just a few years old machines...

I've installed many of those by request - ACER Aspire One and similar contemporary wannabe notebooks - with only 1GB RAM and always used the standard Ubuntu, with Unity, except in a couple where I installed the Lubuntu based LXLE, also by explicit request. No doubt the lighter desktop is slightly more responsive than Unity but Unity runs (almost always) fine with everything one expects to do with such machines. At the expense of a little bit of snappiness the user gains a lot in ergonomics, hence productivity.

Personally I find Lubuntu boring, featureless, inconsistent at times and on top of all this an outdated UI design. On the other hand LXLE was a nice surprise. They did a nice job tweaking the desktop and showed that it is possible to have something bearable out of LXLE while keeping the memory footprint small.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I have an Acer Aspire One 255e.It runs ok with full Ubuntu Unity with 1GB ram ,better with 2GB.I tried xubuntu and lubuntu ,it works faster but in most cases there is no real advantage and I prefer Unity.
    Tip: if you use Unity turn off active blur ,it will speed things up.
    14.10 amd64

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    Indeed most here do suggest Lubuntu right away for everything from netbooks like the Aspire One to other just a few years old machines...
    How can you make such a statment. Your opinion should not be made to sound like fact, unless backed by fact.

@OP All the *buntu flavors are supported here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can install Ubuntu using a USB pendrive

Link: Installation from USB stick

I have an Acer One Netbook (circa. 2007) that originally had Windows XP installed. (CPU: Atom 1.6Ghz RAM: 1GB). It will run Ubuntu with Unity Desktop to a satisfactory degree. I personally have opted for Lubuntu as it runs considerably quicker. My default browser is Chromium, so Google's Chrome would run fine.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =