Thread: Ubuntu installed OK but resolution is low and unchangeable

Beans

Ubuntu installed OK but resolution is low and unchangeable

Tuesday 6.5.2014

I thought I had already submitted this thread - but cannot find it. so here it is again.

I installed Ubuntu 14.4 under VM on my ASUS laptop (Intel I7 8GB ram) both the the two boxes in the pre-installation phase were checked..
    The are two screens , one Samsung and the inbuilt screen on the laptop. The screen setup (from Win 8.1) is that the Samsung display is active and the Laptop not.

The install went well and Ubuntu runs - but I have a low screen resolution.
    Going to system settings--> display shows an unchangeable resolution of 640 by 480. Which is unsatisfactory.

The previous version of Ubuntu worked fine in the same screen configuration.

Switching the Win 8 display mode to just laptop shows the same low res.

Can someone help me?

BD
    Last edited by Bonzadog; May 6th, 2014 at 08:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu installed OK but resolution is low and unchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzadog View Post
    I installed Ubuntu 14.4 under VM on my ASUS laptop
    What virtualisation software are you using and do you mean you are running Ubuntu as a VM inside Windows?

I only have real experience of VirtualBox and that some time ago, but if you are running a VirtualBox Ubuntu VM, you wouldn't be able to adjust the resolution from the default 640x480 until you install the guest additions. I believe something similar is true for VMWare, but I have no experience of other virtualisation applications.

If you post more details of your setup, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I am using Oracles VirtualBox and Windows 8.1 is the main operating system.

I must repeat: The last Ubunu 13.x was installed in exactly this configuration and I had no problems.
    I suppose I could download the previous version and work with that, but that is not the way to go.
    Have I missed a paramenter in the install of Ubuntu? Doesn't seem likely though.

Please assist me on this.

Thanks BD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What version of Virtualbox are you using - only versions after 4.3.10 will run 14.04 with a correct resolution

For the guest modules: see
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1282758
    and
    https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/12623 (fixed in 4.3.8 onwards)
    Last edited by sandyd; May 6th, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

I am using Version Virtual Box 4.3.10 r93012 German version - no updates are available.

Thank you for the links - the first link seem relevant but seems to offer no solution and the 2nd URL doesn't seem to apply.

BD

Beans

I have re-installed the previous version of Ubunti in VM 4.3 10. There were no problem ajd runs with
    the corrrect resolution.

Have anyone further advice on how I should proceed with the Ubuntu 14 problem? Wait for the next version od Ubuntu?

Thanks to all