Thread: After upgrade to 14.04, no icons in top panel of Gnome Classic (Flashback)

Beans

After upgrade to 14.04, no icons in top panel of Gnome Classic (Flashback)

I recently upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 using the on-line upgrading process. I normally use the Gnome classic desktop, now called "Gnome Flashback (no effects)." The upgrade process seemed to go smoothly; but when I rebooted with 14.04, there were no icons in the top panel. (The other icons were all in place and worked.) In particular, the cogwheel-like icon in the top right corner of the screen (and used for logging out, shutting down and restarting) is missing. Likewise, the time icon (that drops down a calendar when clicked) is gone, as is the Wi-Fi icon, the volume icon, and some others. I can do Ctrl-Alt-L to lock the computer and click "Switch user", and all the top-panel icons appear and work. I can then login as Guest, and the icons are still there and work, but of course I can get no real work done as Guest. When I login as me, the owner, the icons immediately disappear. And incidentally, if I login for "Ubuntu (default)" -- which used to bring me to Unity -- I get the Gnome Flashback (or classic) desktop, not Unity. I don't miss Unity, but I do miss the top-panel icons. I have read some posts about similar problems and tried various things, none of which helped. Any ideas about how to get the icons back would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: After upgrade to 14.04, no icons in top panel of Gnome Classic (Flashback)

Have you tried a panel reset?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I am not sure exactly what you mean by "panel reset", but your suggestion led to some helpful reading. By doing ALT-rightclick on the panel, I have been able to add to the panel (1) the clock (which expands to a calendar on clicking), (2) a logout icon, and (3) the Ubuntu general icon which can be used to shut down. I still don't have a simple, one-click way of seeing what Wi-Fi networks are available.

Any further advice would be welcome.

Beans

I was over-optimistic in my comment about getting back the icons in the top panel. If I click the clock, the calendar drops down. Fine, but I cannot get the calendar to close. After a few clicks on the background, a message box pops up saying "Sorry, Ubuntu 14.04 has experienced an internal error." If I click the button with the label "Show details", I learn only that the executable path is:
    /usr/bin/gnome-panel . I click the button to send a message "to help fix the problem" but I doubt that it is ever looked at.

I would be interested in replies that just say either "I also have this problem with 14.04 " or "I also updated to 14.04 and do not have this problem."

Thanks for your interest in reading this.

Beans
    Hidden!

You must again click on the clock to close it.