Thread: How do I load files from a windows XP DVD to ubuntu?

Beans

How do I load files from a windows XP DVD to ubuntu?

After 8 years of dreaming about it I took the plunge and switched to ubuntu 14.04 from Win. XP. I burned discs with files that I need. Now how do I load these files into ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I load files from a windows XP DVD to ubuntu?

Nautilus is the Ubuntu file manager. If you have a different flavor, you may have a different file manager. But not really much different than Windows Explorer in that select, copy & paste from DVD into /home. Copy music into the Music folder, Documents into Doucuments folder etc.

Been ages since I had to recover from DVD, but I still make them regularly for the most important files on my system. You may have to change from read only to read write.

If you run this it will show that $USER is a variable with your name, so you can just copy these two commands, chown & chmod
    echo $USER
    You can in mass change all files in /home to defaults.
    sudo chmod -R a+rwX,o-w /home/$USER
    All directories will be 775.
    All files will be 664 except those that were set as executable to begin with.

sudo chown $USER:$USER /home/$USER

Do not run on any system partition. The -R is recursion and it changes everything in all lower levels. I accidentally ran a change at / once with -R and had to reinstall as too much changed.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy_Cota View Post
    After 8 years of dreaming about it I took the plunge and switched to ubuntu 14.04 from Win. XP. I burned discs with files that I need. Now how do I load these files into ubuntu?
    Insert the DVD, when it appears on the left side click it, drag your files to your home directory.

Or did you mean something else?

Beans

You hit it on the head. My family and I are continually amazed by how smooth and intuitive ubuntu is, and how simple some of the tasks are once someone tells you how to do it.
    Thanks, unktim