Thread: Video Driver Issue - GeForce4 Ti 4200 Lubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Video Driver Issue - GeForce4 Ti 4200 Lubuntu 14.04

I have an old Dell Dimension 8200 Desktop with a Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Video Card Running Lubuntu 14.04.

Lubuntu installs fine and is in good working order except recently i notice that when i traverse my desktop and folders or scroll the mouse my folder icons, document/file icons disappears or blinks while i move the mouse over them. Also if i open synaptic an do a search to install programs the search return with the text white out (the results are there but i cant see them), also if i try to attached a file in an email and try to browse for the file the text is white out .

I did some research and i found out that the GeForce4 Ti 4200 is now legacy an its using an open source drivers and that may be the reason why my desktop is text an icons is so inconsistent.

Is there a way i can use/install the last available proprietary video driver for the GeForce4 Ti 4200 on Lubuntu 14.04?
    Is there any another way i can solve this video issue?

I've install Crunchbang 11 Linux on this Desktop before and i did not have any of theses white out text issues, I had a kernel panic on CrunchBang recently and thought I'd give Lubuntu a try since its newer.
    I cant continue using Lubuntu with the text and my icons disappearing. Any help appreciated, Thanks much.
    UBUNTU TO DI FLIPPIN WORLD

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Video Driver Issue - GeForce4 Ti 4200 Lubuntu 14.04

It's a weak graphics card and you shouldn't expect much from it. If you really want to use it I suggest something 12.04-based (but not Lubuntu).

More info in the link in my signature.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Appreciate the feedback, Thanks much will do

UPDATE: Bodhi Linux looks interesting i think i am going to give it a try and see if i can get consistency with my text and icons.
    Thanks Again
    Last edited by SILLAT; May 6th, 2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: @ mrgs - More info in the link in my signature.
    UBUNTU TO DI FLIPPIN WORLD

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Good, please post the results.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts