Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What will happen when Adobe flash support end?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What will happen when Adobe flash support end?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    To avoid google chrome use chromium instead.
    The pepperflash-plugin is available in the repos, for 14.04(at least)

You might also look into pipelight.
    I will look at that, thanks. But is it updated? I like chromium-type browser, such as the barebone Chromium and Opera. Chrome I prefer to avoid.

Also, will the pepperflash-plugin work for Opera?
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; May 5th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    mozilla is making there own flash replacement, look up shumway
    I follow that closely, there was an hype in october when it landed on Nightly but as far as I know it's still very unstable and far from even remotely able to replace Adobe Flash player. Mozilla is working on it since 2012 and it may be that it will be ready in 2016-17. I sure hope so!

I believe Shumway (and so HTML5) is the solution too. Because it will not be restricted to chromium-type of browser but available to all on Github. So other browsers will be able to make use of it.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/02/moz...refox-nightly/
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; May 5th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

i would expect ARM based systems to become more and more common and if content providers want to support that hardware they can't use flash so that should help make them move away from it
    unless you have a fairly power system flash is horrible, it is a little more forgiving on windows than linux/osx
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    i would expect ARM based systems to become more and more common and if content providers want to support that hardware they can't use flash so that should help make them move away from it
    unless you have a fairly power system flash is horrible, it is a little more forgiving on windows than linux/osx
    The bad news is that performance wise html5 is just as horrible if not worse than flash on weak hardware. To really rub it in actually html5 runs a lot smoother on Chrome than on Firefox with supported graphic drivers because of hardware acceleration. I set up Ubuntu on a 5 year old hp netbook with an AMD card (open driver), gpu is decent but cpus are quite weak. vimeo hd videos are unwatchable on Firefox but they run quite smoothly on Chrome (Hwacc for html5 is not available for Firefox, at least for Linux, not sure about other platforms)

Another thing is Chrome has h264 decoding built in while firefox requires installing gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg.The package is removed from Trusty so before Firefox 30 you can't even watch html5 videos (most use h264) on Trusty with FF unless you install the missing package from ppa. Since h264 has gone open source lately I think Mozilla will catch up eventually.

I don't really think pepper flash is such a big deal as 99% of sites don't require flash 13 and pepper flash would not work on drm streams (while system flash + hal or pipelight flash would, both options not available for Chrome) I in general prefer Firefox (and FF29 is faster than Chrome. ) But unfortunately at this point Chrome is actually a better choice for html5 videos than Firefox if cpu usage is a concern.

Edited: Youtube 1080p only plays in html5 on Chrome and IE11,--may work on Chromium as well,-- there is a ticket on Mozilla's bug list to implement this feature, someone is working on it apparently.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 5th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

i'm not realy understand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12